Between rains and interviews

Today we were between rainstorms. In the same way the Inuit are said (even if inaccurately) to have 200 words for snow, the NorthWet ought to have a word for this. Something like “interrainum.”

Be that as it may, by late morning I was also between interviews for this cannabis article I’m working on. I’d just wrapped up one at the coolest retail store and didn’t have another until tomorrow.

The day was already pleasant and just about then turned bright blue. I took the dogs walking on a river trail. We moseyed along in comfort, no fleece-lined jacket for Robbie’s old bones and joints, not even a sweater for me. Then, despite a determination to econommize this month, I splurged a whole $5.63 on a chicken basket (yeah, I really know how to live it up!) and sat in the car near the trail, sharing lunch with the dogs.

About then it began clouding over and by the time we returned home, the day was gray again. But still blessedly dry.

Tomorrow I’m set to meet a couple who had their hearts broken by the cannabis trade — and by the feds — in California and who are starting afresh here.

After that, my final interview is with the area’s pioneer of commercial medical cannabis gardening. Until recently, the medical system has been completely separate from the i502 recreational and I was going to stay away from it because there’s so much else to cover. But last year the legislature began the uncomfortable task of trying to merge the two systems and this guy is in line to score himself a nice, big pair of producer (grower) and processor licenses. He’s also a charmer who probably gets more press than anybody in local cannabusiness. He’s as connected and informed as anybody around, so I stand to learn a lot about what’s going on in the trade.

Wish me luck. The article is growing and I may have to go back to my editors and re-pitch it to them as a two-parter. I’ve already begun the first draft and it’s shaping up as one of the best pieces, as well as being one of the most fun projects, I’ve done in years.

I am loving all these former “criminals” and their newer partners in non-crime.

—–

On another subject, in case you missed it, David Haywood Young dropped into the comment section today to announce that he’s got a new Kindle book, Take Back Your Privacy: The Barefoot Anarchist’s Guide to Navigating Today’s Digital Landscape, and that’ll be free for five days, starting Tuesday. I’ve only read what’s available on “look inside,” but it seems well-written and done in an engaging, easy style.

1. Mac the Knife
    Mac the Knife January 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Just downloaded the book since it is free for Kindle Unlimited subscribers.

2. David Haywood Young
    David Haywood Young January 26, 2016 2:18 am

Thanks, Claire!

That book was originally supposed to be a blog post about computer hackery in my most recent novel, with a few links to show people it was all real-world stuff…then it was going to be a short ebook…then it became a monster. Fun to write and research, and I hope it helps people. I guess I’d been holding it back for a while, sort of without noticing.

And, hey, if Kent McManigal sees this, I linked to his site for a definition of “anarchist.” Can’t seem to post comments on his site.

-D

3. Shel
    Shel January 26, 2016 5:43 am

Extremely glad to hear of the mental benefits of your latest gig. They aren’t insignificant. Hope there’s more to come.

4. Coyote Hubbard
    Coyote Hubbard January 26, 2016 6:12 am

Thanks for pointing out the FreeBook, and thanks to Mr. Young for giving it away for a bit.

As for the Cannabis, it will be interesting to see where this goes. I do not like the way it makes me feel so I dont use it, but I have been in the local shop here when a friend needed a ride there a few times… Always was stuck in the back of my head that the feds were going to raid it at any minute, LOL

5. Laird
    Laird January 26, 2016 7:52 am

I second the thanks to Mr. Young. From the table of contents it looks very interesting and useful. I’ve downloaded it (but not had a chance to look at it yet).

Will we be able to read your article once it’s published, or will it be behind a paywall?

I like the word “cannabusiness”!

6. furry doc
    furry doc January 26, 2016 8:17 am

Good luck,
    I can’t wait to read it. Maybe it will one day develop into a book.

7. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal January 26, 2016 8:51 am

If I have ever used Cannabis- and I’m not saying I have- it has been years. 😉 But reading about your research for this article really makes me happy. I love seeing people doing good, useful things that used to be “illegal”. I love seeing people doing good useful things that are still “illegal”, for that matter. I’m just glad when they don’t have the high risk of a kidnapping at the hands of the badge bullies hanging over them.

David Haywood Young- Cool! Glad I can be useful. (And I, too, got the Kindle book.)

Claire January 26, 2016 10:26 am

I like the word “cannabusiness”!

Laird — I’ll try to have word on the article in a day or two. Depends on whether the editors who commissioned it like it as it’s shaping up or send me packing so that I’ll have to find another market for it. (I never submit articles via anybody’s slushpile, but for this one I’d be willing to endure the pain.)

I like the word cannabusiness, too. I didn’t coin it; it’s just something that’s becoming part of the legalization parlance. Don’t hear it spoken, but often written.

Claire January 26, 2016 10:28 am

“I can’t wait to read it. Maybe it will one day develop into a book.”

Oh heavens, not another book! I agree it has book potential, but even thinking about the multiple ordeals involved with book writing (and publishing, and publicizing) makes me want to go hide under the bed with the dust bunnies.

Claire January 26, 2016 10:32 am

“I’m just glad when they don’t have the high risk of a kidnapping at the hands of the badge bullies hanging over them.”

YEP! 🙂

While in a cool intellectual and philosphical way, I understand when people respond to my cannabis posts by objecting to licensing, worrying about the potential for fed raids, grousing about the huge tax revenues being pulled from cannabusinesses, etc. They’re all absolutely correct in their objections.

But all I can say is that those people aren’t here. Those people aren’t experiencing the palpable joy. Those people aren’t sitting down with first-class entrepreneurs who love what they’re doing and are thrilled that they’re finally able to declare themselves openly. Those people aren’t watching a community change. I feel very, very fortunate that I’m here to witness this.

11. just waiting
    just waiting January 26, 2016 5:08 pm

My guvmint declared me an enemy combatant in their war on some drugs about 43 years ago when I smoked my first joint. I don’t drink or do hard drugs, but I do enjoy a nice flavorful toke most days. We don’t get “high” anymore, just prefer the feeling of a nice joint to that of a drink.

After so long behind enemy lines (we lived in NJ), we moved to OR, what we call one of the “free states”. Back in NJ, speaking the words marijuana or pot in a pipe or tobacco store was grounds to be barred from the store. People pointed at the things they wanted. I’m old school, twist it up, light it up, smoke it up. We laughed last week as a pixie little 22 year old clerk in the glass store gave us a lesson on how to “do” extracts. I still have a wooden pot pipe I carved in high school shop class twice that many years ago, here this kid s teaching me the new way to “do” pot.

It truly is an exciting time watching a newly legal industry be born. We too are in a rural, economically depressed area. With our remoteness, I don’t think that we could ever become a Raymond, transportation costs and risks would be far too high. But it still seems the only new businesses opening in the area are pot shops. 2 opened in the next town down since we got here in October, and 2 more are opening to the north soon.

We’re only a few months in OR, so there’s limited opportunity in terms of growing or opening a retail store, but even when I put on my entrepreneurial idea hat I cannot conceive of all the ancillary business opportunities that will arise as the canna-industry continues to grow.

Claire January 26, 2016 6:24 pm

just waiting — That was so heartfelt. Congratulations on making it to a free state after suffering Chris Christie’s long attempts to force cannabis to remain underground despite NJ’s rather whimpy medical marijuana law.

There’s something in every paragraph you wrote that resonates with me, but I’ll just say that it’s that entrepreneurial spirt that is the most awesome of the awesome new things. I hope your imagination takes you somewhere wonderful.

Today I interviewed that “heartbreak” couple. Not only were they victims of the DEA in California, but since they got here they’re encountered one barrier after another, so they’re just now, this week, about to deliver their first tiny, token crop. But that crop is probably the most premium bud ever to hit this area. And the vision they’re pursuing is BIG. Talking with them I felt sure they’d make it, that they were people who could weather anything and come out winners. And as with all the rest, they love this community and say it’s welcomed them unreservedly.

Thank heaven the locals are smart enough to do that.

13. just waiting
    just waiting January 26, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks Claire!

When you first blogged about Mr. Doobies, I wished I could have said more, but being where I was I couldn’t speak for fear of unwanted attention. I just find it so liberating to be able to freely discuss pot. My sis in CO and I compare our local offerings, quality, stores (her shop has a Shatter Day Saturday celebration/sale every week, we don’t, not yet:). We can do it openly, where anyone can hear, and it doesn’t matter because we both live in free states.

Whether I ever participate as anything more than a cannaseur consumer, I’m just really glad I lived long enough to see this time finally come.