I might not have a lot to say for the next few days, so I thought I’d drop by now with a handful of questions and a few mostly feelgood links.
The questions are for car guys and computer geeks. If your eyes glaze over at the very thought, feel free to skip to the linkage.
Questions, questions, questions …
1. Can an engine oil leak come and go? Before I bought Old Blue, I tossed a piece of cardboard under it to check for leaks. Pretty good for an old car; just a couple of drops in 24 hours. That’s mostly how it’s remained, but on two days recently, I’ve observed it dripping that much oil in minutes. I start to worry, then it goes back to hardly leaking at all. Bought some Bar’s and will see if that helps. But is this even possible? Could weather conditions or a stretch of bad road cause it? The Internet is silent on this matter.
2. Is my neighbor doing something sensible or dumb? A neighbor has a gigantomongous Dodge RAM 3500 truck. Crew cab. Six tires. Big, powerful, roaring thing. In every season and every whether, he lets it warm up in his driveway for 10 or 15 minutes before heading out. When he comes home for lunch he’ll leave it running the whole time he’s home, 30 minutes or so. I’m just curious, but is there any good reason to do that? I shudder, thinking of his fuel costs, but maybe he knows something I don’t.
Windows? Whazzup with that? Many times I’ve gotten error messages from sites telling me I’m using an obsolete version of Internet Explorer and I need to upgrade it. Today I attempted to try out the free version of a highly rated VPN and even though I know this VPN supports Linux, the site kept trying to download a Windows .exe file to me. Not the first time a DL site has “read” me as using Windows. OTOH, most DL sites not only “see” Linux, but may even point me toward .deb files for the exact type of Linux I’m using. What would cause so many sites to “see” W and IE when I’m actually running Firefox on Mint Linux? Answered!
And speaking of VPNs … My brain is sore — and little the wiser — from research. In your opinion, what’s the best offshore VPN for under $6 a month and why? Must work with Linux.
Okay, now to a little bit of linkage.
And thank you for your patience.
- Woman chases down a speeding cop and gives him a lecture.
- Mother hears her dead son’s heart beating in the chest of the little girl whose life it saved.
- Training eagles to destroy drones. Unfortunately in this case it’s the police doing the eagle training.
- You have been warned: Don’t go anywhere near the SuperBowl if you value your privacy (or your sanity).
- “How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Cheap Carry Guns” TZP guest commentary by pigpen51. While you’re at TZP, don’t forget to take Nicki’s new poll on “smart” guns.
Cheers. And thanks for the answers. See you later, but posting may be spotty this week.