This might be a good time …

… to invite your gay, lesbian, bi-, and trans- friends to the range.

Or tell them about The Pink Pistols if they live near a chapter or someplace where a chapter could start up.

UPDATE: Or better yet, from Brad R. in comments sign up to give free training.

—–

This weekend’s foul murderer seems almost custom-designed to fit everybody’s hysteria agenda.

He used scary guns for the hoplophobes. He did the “Allahu Akbar” routine for the conservatives. He hated gays and women and probably about half a dozen other target groups. For those of us who distrust government, he spent years coming to the attention of government agencies, all of whom found no problem with him and turned him loose to buy all the guns and do all the murder he cared to do.

But I have to admit I’m coming down very near where Joel’s headed on the larger issue of these pestilential jihadis, both freelance and affiliated with whatever group — Sunni, Shiite, Full-of-Sh**te, Wahabi, Wasabi, Whathaveyou.

Yes, I agree with Joel that collectivism is a great evil. But I’ve asked the question before: If there are supposedly all these millions of “moderate” and peaceable Muslims around the world, and they’ve been exclaiming in horror over terrorism since 2001 or earlier, where are the huge, well-funded Muslim anti-terrorist organizations and movements? Where are the communitywide efforts to turn disaffected young men and women toward a more productive course? Where’s all the media-touted “moderation”?

Citing sympathetic Twitter chatter from Muslims after every jihadi atrocity in the U.S. isn’t enough. Those tweets take less effort than putting a teddy bear on a streetside memorial — and are about as meaningful.

No, I am not saying that every individual Muslim is responsible for, or has an obligation to do anything about, terrorism. Not even close. I am saying that if those millions of anti-terrorist moderate Muslims the media is always going on about actually existed, some of them would, by now, have formed powerful anti-terror organizations and would be actively making terrorism uncool and unpopular with the young jerks who carry it out.

Alas, the evidence is, scarily, that among the Muslim communities of the West, those moderates are somewhere between a minority and a downright delusion on the part of journalists. Survey after survey has shown that millions of religionists who don’t actively go out and blast gays or cartoonists or atheist bloggers or whoever offends them the most this week are hardly “moderate.”

In a 2015 poll, 20% of U.S. Muslim responding said violence was justified to impose sharia law on the U.S. And 39% said they should be exempt from U.S. courts, presumably because sharia should prevail. (Of course, you and I might wish the same as that 39%, but not for quite the same reason.)

Moderate? I don’t think so.

Of course, there are competing surveys that show Muslims more concerned about terrorism. But even in those polls, respondents wonder why their leaders aren’t … well, leading in the anti-terrorist cause. Which, clearly, they are not.

At best, the “moderate, peaceful” Muslims constitute an ineffective and not very committed “silent majority.”

Okay, some commentor is now about to inform me that the U.S. has abused Muslim countries and these people have legitimate gripes. You think I don’t know that? It’s only been in the news every day for the last 20-some years. Of course it’s a factor. Of course there are legitimate gripes against the U.S. government. Take a number. Get in line. We’ll all air our grudges. Lots of us, Muslim or otherwise, foreign or domestic, have big issues with the U.S. government. Let the Vietnamese go to the head of the line. Let screwed-over U.S. homeowners cut in there, too. Let the relatives of people shot by cops have a spot. Let the mothers of drone-struck children step in. Plenty of room for everybody in the grudge department.

What those grudges are not is an excuse for murdering innocents. You got a grudge against the U.S. government? Fine. So do a lot of us. But don’t go around shooting up, cutting up, or blowing up gay partiers, cartoonists, bloggers, Jewish schoolkids, Jewish shoppers, people you used to work with, people you work with now, or anybody else your arrogant arse thinks you can kill just because you belong to a “superior” religion.

Bottom line: Even if the polls are misleading, even if there were or are millions of actual moderates — where are the giant Islamic anti-terrorist movements? Where are they anywhere in the world, but especially here in the U.S. and in Europe where freelance terrorists so frequently run loose and where (unlike, say Nigeria or Syria) it is safe to band together to protest murderous evil? Where are the communitywide efforts to give young malcontents some other direction other than a crooked line toward fanatacism and murder? Where?

—–

I don’t want to see Trump-style hatred. But as the years go by and the young jerks get away with more and more murder in the name of Allah, the question of why their fellow religionists are so passive — or supportive — gets harder to avoid.

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal June 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Yeah…

2. Fred
    Fred June 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Islam is collectivist.

3. Ken Hagler
    Ken Hagler June 14, 2016 2:38 pm

This was the fault of the two billion Muslims who didn’t do it in exactly the same way it was the fault of the hundreds of millions of gun owners who didn’t do it.

Joel June 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Haven’t met anyone suggesting it’s their fault, Ken. But if a minority of gun owners started running around committing atrocities in the name of gun ownership, it would very much be in the interest of every one of the rest of us to distance ourselves from them, and where possible to do something about them.

Joel June 14, 2016 2:56 pm

If, say, fifteen years passed and we still muttered “Oh, dear, how awful” while remaining inactive, and a significant proportion of us enabled the terrorists under the table, the question of fault would over time become more indistinct.

6. capn
    capn June 14, 2016 2:57 pm

Well Done Claire.

I concur.

7. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack June 14, 2016 4:14 pm

Something like 1400 years – no substantive change. “Mo does not play and socialize well with others.”

How is antisocial behavior dealt with in other instantiations? What constitutes acceptable behavior? How much upset can the fragile equilibrium tolerate? When the natural stability is exceeded chaos will eventually ensue.

Who in our government seeks instability?

Claire June 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Ken Hagler, I think you missed the part where I wrote:

Not blaming the millions. Just saying that by now I would have expected such millions to have spawned a movement. Perhaps several of them. That they haven’t makes me wonder just how many “moderates” exist. That’s what I said on that topic and that’s all I said on that topic.

Also, thank you, Joel. And amen.

Now maybe the Trump brigade blames all Muslims. But I’m not responsible for what Trump does.

And oh, BTW, here’s the latest from Mr. Trump on the subject: punish the neighbors of “suspicious” people.

9. Ellendra
    Ellendra June 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Those surveys may have been misleading, but in the wrong direction. It is unfortunate that when dealing with Muslims, one must always bear in mind the Muslim principle of Taqiyya.

10. trying2b-amused
    trying2b-amused June 14, 2016 7:38 pm

I would have thought at least a few people around here understand that Islam would be, at most, a minor irritant, and eventually will implode from the weight of its medieval irrationality, absent being deliberately built up and goaded into serving as New and Improved, Big Scary Enemy Mk II. And, even granting the terminally naive assumption that “Islamic terrorism” in the West is not largely facilitated – or outright perpetrated – by those allegedly “fighting” it, when one considers that the amount of death inflicted on Muslims by USG and its stooges is at least three orders of magnitude greater than that inflicted by “Islamic terrorists” on the West, it isn’t too hard to figure why Muslims with no intent or desire to attack innocents might be less than enthusiastic about denouncing those among them without such scruples.

11. Matt
    Matt June 14, 2016 8:21 pm

I recommend Pink Pistols to my LGBT friends, have for years. I recommend Cornered Cat to the women I care about.

About those moderate Muslims. They do exist. I have worked with them, fought with them and train them. They wear the uniforms of their countries. When in their home countries they are generally fighting Islamic Extremist. Islamic terrorists still kill more muslims everyday than they do Americans. ISIS is working hard to conquer countries and put the apostates and bad muslims to death. The Muslims fighting are the moderates. Many moderate Imam’s from various parts of the world have declard Fatwas on ISIS and Islamic terrorists. It doesn’t make the news very often.

12. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner June 15, 2016 3:16 am

Matt, the problem is that here those moderates are doing squat. They attend mosques largely paid for and staffed by the Saudis, which means they are the same Salafist a**holes who comprise ISIS, they allow themselves to be publicly represented by CAIR, which is a fifth column, and generally play the victim while doing nothing for their coreligionists’ actual victims. I don’t expect American Muslims to take the blame for the terrorists, but I do expect them to pull their freaking weight in dealing with the problem and leave off the standard after-jihad “don’t hurt us, we’re the real victims, not all Muslims, don’t look at us, don’t say Islam, and by the way your women dress too provocatively” litany. I am asking them to pick a side and play on the team, and if their choice is the other team, well, I’m not shedding any tears for them.

13. David
    David June 15, 2016 5:42 am

Perhaps the lack of Moslem opposition to jihadis is that they are defined by Islam as apostates and subject to death. Maybe they’re all afraid of their own? That should tell us something.

And last nite on TV I had to listen to a bunch of stuff about the MMRI – moderate Muslim resistance to Islamism – including a moderator announcing that it was fact and they wouldn’t waste time talking about who or where it is to be seen. So without mentioning even one group decrying jihadi behavior, they are now announcing this as ‘fact’. That seems odd until I tell you that it was the Clinton News Network (CNN).

Pat June 15, 2016 6:42 am

Summed up nicely, RustyGunner. “Sh*t or get off the pot” is another way of saying it.

In addition, the three major religions of faith have been fighting a Holy War for two thousand years, and it’s this that ISIS is determined to bring about – and win – in the 21st Century. And when the war is over (no matter who wins), it will go on being fought because that’s all the Middle Eastern mind knows how to do.

Frankly I am disgusted with all of them – and that includes the “religious conservatives” in this country who have taken the bait and don’t have sense enough to recognize they’ve fallen into the same trap King Richard of England was lured into in the 12th and 13th Centuries.

A pox on all their houses…

15. Ken Hagler
    Ken Hagler June 15, 2016 8:11 am

The “why aren’t moderate muslims doing anything to stop terrorism” routine is just another piece of propaganda, exactly the same as when we hear “why aren’t gun owners doing anything to stop mass shootings.”

16. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner June 15, 2016 9:21 am

Here are some things that would get my attention that American muslims might do. Not an exhaustive list, by any means.

Fund your own mosques and tell the Saudis to go home. Hire an Imam who isn’t preaching stuff that will get you martyred. You’re an American, so act like one.

Jettison CAIR. Be proud of who you are and reject spokesmen who come across like whiny little b**ches. CAIR does not have your best interests in mind. Speak for yourselves and speak loudly.

Get involved in the civic life of your communities and don’t make it about religion. I’d like to see Red Crescent chapters with teams that can respond to national emergencies. Join your local Sheriff’s posse or other volunteer service organization. Be visibly and routinely part of the solution.

It’s advice for all religions, even the atheist religion. People are smart. Most of them generally know what they want and have seen the brochures for your faiths and believe as they do for reasons that seem good to them. Work with, play with, and cooperate with your neighbors, even if they are sinners or infidels or credulous godbotherers or whatever. You don’t have to approve of their lifestyles and beliefs, but neither do you have to club them with yours. Just swallow your righteous indignation, accept that it doesn’t contribute to painting the firehouse or assisting blood donors. Focus on the task, be a good neighbor, and you might find that you have fewer enemies than you think.

17. Fred
    Fred June 15, 2016 9:58 am

Mr. Hagler, I am doing something about mass shootings and crime. I carry a weapon, always. My friends know it, my pastor knows it, church security knows it, family knows it, neighbors know it, state and local lawmen knows it. I get thanked publicly by my friends for being armed. I have shot with first time and newbies. I have encouraged more than a dozen folks to seek further training and use firearms, sometimes paying for everything, in the past two years. Mostly young women and retiree ages.

I’m not stopping either. Would you like to learn? I would be happy to ensure that you get safely and properly prepared to handle, manipulate, use, and deploy a weapon in defense of yourself and those less able. Interested?

18. Ken Hagler
    Ken Hagler June 15, 2016 10:40 am

Fred, I carry a pistol ever time I set foot outside my home. Probably most of the people here do as well, or else are gun owners and know that others do even if they live somewhere that makes it illegal. However, someone who isn’t a gun owner and doesn’t know any gun owners is bombarded with propaganda from the powers that be and listens to what Katie Couric says about gun owners no doing anything.

Just keep in mind that the powers that be want you to believe the same thing about Muslims.

19. M
    M June 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Woo! More coverage for Erin’s map.

I’m on that map. 🙂

20. Brad R
    Brad R June 15, 2016 1:42 pm

More coverage!

I clicked through the link to the Chicks on the Right blog, and then clicked through the link there to the Blue Collar Prepping blog, and discovered that Nicki was the *inspiration* for the map.

Way to go, everyone.

(And yes, I’ve learned my lesson about posting two links in a comment here leading to moderation. *blushes*)

21. Fred
    Fred June 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Sent Erin an email. I will pay for and teach 2 new shooters.

MamaLiberty June 16, 2016 11:04 am

I don’t know any “gay, lesbian or transexual” people to invite to shoot. I ask a lot of people, all the time, and hand out my cards, invite them to the shooting clinic, etc. But I have zero interest in their sexual life or preferences. Even if I knew what they were.

23. LarryA
    LarryA June 17, 2016 2:32 am

Do away with the “gun-free” zones were mass killers almost always strike, and law-biding gun owners will be the ones shooting back.