Desperate midweek tab clearing and information dump

• Brad R. dropped this in comments, but it’s too good to remain hidden. Leave it to gunblogger Erin Palette to come up with this plan — free firearms training from gunnies to members of the LGBT and beyond community. Good on you, Erin. And good on you, Nicki Kenyon, for inspiring this!
  • Is it a crime to be poor? Increasingly, yes.
  • OTOH, Ralph Benko says the gold standard will restore upward mobility.
  • Donald Trump says you should go to prison if you fail to turn your “suspicious” neighbors in to the cops. And now he’s joining the crowd of both so-called conservatives and so-called progressives who want millions more people deprived of gun rights without due process or any appeal process. Hillary may be a rabid hoplophobe, but at least she’s not a fascist. Not quite, anyhow. (H/T NK)
  • Bill O’Reilly’s another “conservative” quick to hop on the anti-gun bandwagon. Doesn’t understand the meaning of the word “regulate,” either.
  • But Edward Morrissey gets it. Mostly. This is not the time to go squishy. Not the time to compromise with those whose aim is our total subjugation. Not the time to look for quick fixes that rob more rights. Now, more than ever, is the time to stand up and say NO and HELL NO.
  • And there’s human decency amid the carnage.
  • Oklahoma cops backtrack — momentarily — on stealing funds out of prepaid cards during traffic stops.
  • More support emerges for the two-phase sleep habit.
  • In Britain, support swings toward the Brexit, and Ambrose Evans-Pritchard states the good case. British bookies, however, still predict Britain will remain in the EU. Pity.
  • I think mere minimalism — in the sense of getting rid of possessions and acquiring fewer of them — is overrated. It doesn’t strike at the root of the problem of a cluttered, misdirected life. Clutter and excess are symptoms, not causes. Still, if you struggle with material too-muchness these tips are pretty decent.
  • When do you know it’s time? No, not to shoot the bastards, but to put down your dog. This is a question I’ve been asking for two years about Robbie, who turns 15 right about now. He’s happy, but fading. Furrydoc and I both hope he’ll just quietly die in his sleep one night.

1. Fred
    Fred June 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Sent Erin an email. I will pay for and teach 2 new shooters.

Joel June 15, 2016 2:53 pm

If he’s not in pain or frightened by confusion, or causing big problems with wandering or incontinence, let Robbie nap till he dies in his sleep.

3. jed
    jed June 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Any chance the “minimalist tips” and “crime to be poor” articles are available some places other than Forbes and NYT?

4. Ellendra
    Ellendra June 15, 2016 7:48 pm

I’m facing the “When is it time?” question with my cat soon. She was diagnosed with lymphoma in February. The vet gave her 3 months to live without chemo. 6 months to a year with it. We went without, although we did opt for the Prednisone they said would help with the inflammation. And I also dug through my books for herbs that might help.

She is now on month 5, shows no signs of pain or distress, and is as playful as ever! If it weren’t for the odd lumps here and there, it would be easy to forget she’s sick.

The herbs seem to be helping. There was a dramatic improvement when I started her on those. She’s not cured, and I probably just bought her some time, but she’s the sweetest most cuddly kitty in the world, and I will take whatever time I can get!

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. June 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Remember those stories where people pay their government bills and fines with a lot of coins? Remember how some places actually made it illegal to do that now? Well, these guys went with dollar bills, single dollar bills. I supposed it’ll become illegal to do that soon as well. There is a way to prevent that, by noticing on the bills themselves where it says legal tender for all debts. The question will become, will that become illegal?

6. jed
    jed June 16, 2016 7:56 am

@Shel: That’s awesome.

7. david
    david June 16, 2016 8:30 am

To gun control, I say:
    No, and Hell No. I will not comply, I will not surrender. I will resist. There’s only one of me to shoot, but I will be shooting back – and maybe first.

8. Jim B.
    Jim B. June 16, 2016 8:31 am

With that rainbow Gadsen, people are realizing that the government are not only powerless to protect them, they may have no interest to do so.

As for the #shootback, in California of all places, Dianne Frankensteiin must be spitting mad by now. And that’s a good thing.

9. Fred
    Fred June 16, 2016 8:47 am

jc2k, That’s very interesting. Go watch that vid ya’ll.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND YET?

Pat June 16, 2016 9:07 am

“Those who would emasculate Americans by denying them the right to bear arms are guilty of aiding and abetting evil when it strikes.” [From Shel’s link]

AMEN!

On June 2, Obama said thst more guns had been sold on his watch than ever before. I don’t think he realized at that moment the irony of that statement – that HIS anti-gun attitude and policies were the reason Americans have been arming themselves so intensely over the past 7-1/2 years. See http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/obama-to-gun-owners-im-not-looking-to-disarm-you/

Guilty? Hell, yes!

11. jc2k
    jc2k June 16, 2016 11:48 am

I had to laugh at this one from the OK card reader article: “In order for us to use those card readers … we have to have reasonable suspicion a crime has occurred to stop someone, then we have to have probable cause before we can move forward to swiping that card and seeing what’s on the card,”

That’s also supposed to be the standard for civil asset forfeitures, but we all know how it’s actually applied.

12. pigpen51
    pigpen51 June 16, 2016 4:26 pm

I would like to also second the call to Erin and what she is doing for everyone. It is something that started small and exploded, literally overnight, and should continue to grow. We all need to get involved with teaching those who desire the knowledge they need to defend themselves. All it will cost you is some ammo and a little time, possibly some range fees. This is the outreach we have needed for a long time. It started to help the LGBT community, but was never meant to be only for them, all are welcome. The more informed people are, the safer they will be.

13. Laird
    Laird June 17, 2016 9:29 am

Bill O’Reilly is not a conservative (let alone any sort of libertarian); he’s a populist. Which means that he has no core principles. I stopped watching him a long time ago.

As to Brexit, in my opinion it would be a very good thing for Britain (and, ultimately, for the rest of Europe, although there would surely be some short-term pain there). And I think a majority of the Brits agree, despite incessant hectoring by the financial sector, the media and most of the political class. However, I suspect that “Remain” will win, due to vote tampering. As Uncle Joe Stalin famously said, it doesn’t matter who votes but who counts the votes. And that, of course, is the very people who have a vested interest in preserving the status quo and the most to lose from leaving the EU.

Ralph Benko’s analysis is overly simplistic, but fundamentally he is correct that the source of many of our economic problems is Nixon’s complete abandonment of the gold standard. (Roosevelt began the process in the 1930s; Nixon completed it with the rejection of the Bretton-Woods accord in the 1970s.) Unfortunately, I don’t see any way of returning to it absent a complete collapse of the dollar, which would lead to world-wide calamity. Persons as diverse as Lenin and Keynes have noted that the surest way to destroy a society is to debase its currency. We (not just the US, but the entire world) have done that to ourselves.

14. Shel
    Shel June 20, 2016 5:44 am

This may be what we’re looking at. http://adaptivedefenseconcepts.com/surviving-restrictive-firearms-legislation/

The author references the DHS 2009 Intelligence and Analysis Statement on Rightwing Extremism. Because it is classified FOUO, there’s a potential legal problem with transmitting it, although it didn’t seem difficult to find on the ‘net. Since the Orlando shooting, Jeh Johnson has voiced concerns about right wing extremists while the 911 calls from that incident are being heavily redacted, including removal of references to “Islamic Terrorism.”