A Friday ramble

Well, I don’t know which is more depressing: presidential candidates who’ve never succumbed to any vices or those who have but lie about it.

Rigidly straightlaced people rarely make empathetic “leaders.”

—–

It’s definitely depressing that America’s blood-dancing hoplophobes will still fail to notice a) that it does happen in other countries and b) that an evil guy with an agenda can kill more people with a truck than with a firearm.

—–

And why do so many people consider it somehow “better” if the Nazgul preserve an appearance of impartiality, even when they clearly have agendas?

This is like the dysfunctional family that thinks as long as nobody talks about the problem, there is no problem.

—–

While clearly there’s a lot in the world to be pissed off about (and there always has been, right from the time the first finny thing ate the first one-celled squiggly thing), I had no idea until Joel mentioned it that today is supposed to be a national day of rage.

Actually, it appears we’re not supposed to get really mad until late afternoon or this evening.

Which is good. Because so far, as of early afternoon Pacific time, I haven’t yet managed to get beyond a good ennui.

Still, there’s time. Even if one can’t manage more than a state of mild vexation today, perhaps a touch of contumely toward one’s presumptive rulers, The Brunett warned recently of a dangerously mad summer to come.

Could be. I don’t share either the fear or the rage, but then I live in a peaceful, pleasant backwater, where the people around me are actually, you know, nice. And many of them reasonably self-sufficient and busy enough with their lives not to set aside public time for rage and riot.

(ETA) Thus it was almost a relief to learn from wise commentors that no one’s seriously demanding that we get all enraged after all. At least not today. Whew.

Still, does anybody doubt that we’re only seeing the beginning of dangerous times?

—–

As for me, since Robbie died, I’ve been taking extra walks with Ava. Sometimes our walks are just the usual thing, a mile or two in the morning or afternoon. But we’ve done more than our share of hilly trecks that (speaking only for me; I don’t know about Ava) get the heart rate going and produce a happy soreness in thighs and calves. I think both Ava and I have lost a little weight this last week on this routine.

But to heck with getting overly healthy. We’ve also earned our indulgences. Yesterday after one such hike, we stopped at the little tienda in town and bought a fat slice of tres leches cake (swimming in thick cream!) and a Jarritos tamarind soda. Took them both over to the waterfront and enjoyed them there. Ava got to lick the cake carton.

I don’t like carbonated beverages and rarely ever have soft drinks of any sort. But I love how these fruity Mexican sodas boast of their gloriously high, and pure, sugar content. In this age of low-cal/no-cal everything, when even the worst sort of junk food masquerades as healthy (often because it’s filled with distinctly unhealthy manmade ingredients), it’s refreshing to see sugar proclaiming itself so cheekily from the side of a bottle. A bottle that, BTW, still requires a churchkey opener that’s hung from the side of an old-fashioned refrigerator case.

The tienda also has incredible tacos — handmade soft corn tortillas, folded over seasoned meat, avocado slices, crema, and fresh cilantro, among other goodies. But I’ll go back for those another day.

—–

In the meantime, don’t feel you absolutely have to go out tonight and, on command, work yourself into such a righteous rage that you forget to enjoy your Friday and your weekend. 🙂

Okay there?

1. RustyGunner
    RustyGunner July 15, 2016 2:33 pm

I am channeling Ben Stiller in preparation for this evening.

“Right now I’m kinda like a powder keg. After all, I am a ticking time bomb of fury.”

“Don’t mess with the volcano my man, ’cause I will go Pompeii on your… butt.”

–Mr. Furious

MamaLiberty July 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Sorry, I’ll have to schedule a “day of rage” some other time. I drove 180 miles round trip to the “city” today, saw a doctor and did a little shopping. I’m too tired to put the groceries away, and suspect most will have to wait until tomorrow. I got the perishables stashed, but that’s it.

The city is in South Dakota, and the interesting thing is that I didn’t see a single LEO of any kind on the whole trip, in the city or any of the little towns I passed through on the way. Lots of tourists, bikers and one dumb ass driver of a new sports car who pulled out in front of me from a side road and gave me a serious adrenalin rush just missing a collision.

If anyone there wants to have a rage day/nigh now, it’s ok with me. I don’t have to go back for six months. 🙂

3. Bear
    Bear July 15, 2016 3:00 pm

The “Day of Rage” is an apparent hoax that did not originate with Anonymous. It appears to be a copy of a supposed DoR in 2014 that Anonymous also denied.

Amusingly,so clown is planning a BLM protest in tiny St Marys, GA. Assuming it even happens, it will be either the calmest or shortest BLM protest ever.

Pat July 15, 2016 3:10 pm

They’ll have to schedule another rage day for me, too – I’ve felt pretty mellow today. The temperature has been upper 90s and humid, so I’ve remained indoors the past two days, and out of the MSM loop as well.

I’ve never tasted tamarind, and often wondered what it tasted like.

5. jed
    jed July 15, 2016 3:23 pm

Hmmm, well … Anonymous ‘Day of Rage’ Protests

A rumor that the hacktivist collective Anonymous has called for nationwide ‘Day of Rage’ protests on 15 July 2016 is identical to a false rumor circulated in 2014.

Though if enough people see it, and decide to show up, it won’t matter whether it’s a false rumor.

Meanwhile, how are things in Turkey?

Joel July 15, 2016 4:27 pm

I’m afraid Turkey’s about as irrelevant to me as what-all Anonymous is up to this evening.

But then I could get all ragey and there’d be nobody to notice, so I guess it doesn’t matter nohow.

Joel July 15, 2016 4:35 pm

Also, Mexican Coke is WAY better than regular Coke. Because sugar. I don’t normally drink soda either, but I’ll make an exception for Mexican Coke when the local market has some.

8. Fred
    Fred July 15, 2016 4:39 pm

Mexican Coke (a-cola). Don’t drink the American genetically engineered high fructose corn syrup myself but they still make regular old coke in Mexico. Hmmm, no rage in that.

Turkey is overdue. It’s been more than 12 years since the military had to tell the civilians to stop being jerks. Weird system that.

Claire July 15, 2016 7:32 pm

“I’ve never tasted tamarind, and often wondered what it tasted like.”

Pat — Tamarind itself is the most sour, puckery thing you could ever imagine putting in your mouth. Where anyone ever got the idea it’s edible is beyond me. But it does make good flavoring, when used verrrrry, verrrrry judiciously. Quite tart, though! So thank heaven for that good Mexican sugar.

Pat July 15, 2016 10:41 pm

“Tamarind itself is the most sour, puckery thing you could ever imagine putting in your mouth.”

Ugh! I’ll take your word for it, and stay away from the thing.

11. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair July 16, 2016 5:29 am

Indian tamarind sauce is one of my favorites. It’s available at most Indian restaurants. I tried to make it myself once, from tamarind paste, sugar, and spices, and failed miserably. But Indian stores have it, distributed by Nestle.

12. Shel
    Shel July 16, 2016 11:52 am

It’s hard to feel rage when we have a real possibility of having a next president who could be subjectively linked to the nursing profession; at least Englishman Boris Johnson thought so:

If Hillary Clinton prevails in November, Mr. Johnson can look forward to an interesting meeting with the woman he once called, as a columnist for the London Daily Telegraph, a woman “with dyed blonde hair and pouty lips and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital.”

13. Fred
    Fred July 16, 2016 4:49 pm

It sounds like Johnson has a bit of a thing for her or asylum nurses in general. I don’t know which is creepier, oh wait, certainly clinton.

14. LarryArnold
    LarryArnold July 17, 2016 10:45 pm

I would really like to ask Justice Ginsberg, who wants to sharply curtail campaign spending by overturning Citizen’s United and limit gun ownership by overturning Heller, if she was prepared for what President Trump could accomplish with those new powers.