Small post about small happenings

As I dumpster dive through the post office recycling box this election season, I note a curious thing. Although the glossy political flyers have been sliding in fast and thick, I haven’t seen a single one sent by a candidate him- or herself or by a “Committee to Elect …” a candidate. It’s all been from PACS. And nearly all against somebody, not for anybody.

In many races, even big ones, there’s been not a single bit of mail. But oddly, in one state-house brawl that I’d have considered quite obscure, the flyers have been … well, flying. On many days, two arrive: one demonstrating that the D. candidate is Satan incarnate; the other demonstrating that the R. candidate is Satan incarnate. (And given the evidence, I’m prepared to believe Satan now has two avatars on earth and they both live in my legislative district — except the one who might not actually live in the district she wants to represent, but that’s another story.) A day or two later, different flyers, same Thou Art Satan messages.

I assume, though I haven’t bothered to check, that TPTB think this race could affect the balance of power in the state legislature. Otherwise, nobody would care about a contest in this tiny corner. But care they do — and now to the point of desperation.

The last flyer I spotted from the “R is the Devil” PAC says we can’t, simply can’t, choose Candidate R because he’s so extreme that he actually — if you can believe this! — made some libertarian noises back in the noughties. (I may faint.)

The latest flyer from the “D is the Devil” PAC — a PAC that is so solidly Republican that its name is something like (I paraphrase) The Holy Church of St. Ronald Reagan — actually printed pictures of every other legislator or legislative candidate in the district, Rs and Ds both, and said, “ALL these people share our values, but old Satan Herself over there on the other side of the page will (again I paraphrase) torture your puppies, take your guns, and personally come to your house to confiscate all your income.”

—–

One of the local towns had a small preparedness fair recently. To my surprise it was actually pretty good and decently attended. Most of the information tables and displays were government: local police, sheriffs, and fire department; local emergency-management agency; local CERT; state tsunami-awareness PR guy; things like that. But there were several private organizations with informational booths and a handful of private vendors.

A search & rescue team had a dog as well as one of the most interesting displays of bare-bones survival gear. Someone was selling Thrive Life foods (too bad they’re mainly sold only via MLM because they’re super high quality). Another vendor had an enormous spread of various gear, from custom ESEE knives to paracord. He was selling the items individually or in kits. Very expensive kits. The basic one was over $300, the deluxe around $500.

As soon as I walked up, he recognized that my great big purse wasn’t a great big purse at all, but was a “get home bag.” And a Maxpedition bag, to boot. I was pretty impressed. Only one other person has appeared to notice. Or maybe it’s just that everybody else has been too polite to comment on the fact that I have flashlights, binoculars, and water bottles dangling from me all the time.

The vendor’s packs were all Maxpedition, too, which partially accounted for their priciness. Mine’s much smaller than anything he had, but we compared notes on how much we like Maxpedition (pockets! features! configuration! durability!). He showed me one he’s been carrying everywhere for six years. Still looked brand new. (Yes, that’s another Maxpedition plug, but it’s also the truth. Don’t strand yourself with a go-bag built around some $15 kiddie backpack that’ll fall apart just when you need it. Great gift item for a prepper or outdoorsperson, too.)

—–

And that’s about it, other than the fact that I’m putting two Amazon native ads below today to make up for lost time with this morning’s glitches (12% commission all through November on purchases made through the ads!).

Oh, and the UPS man stopped at my house yesterday. Not to deliver a package. He didn’t have anything for me. He stopped solely to deliver a couple of Milk Bones to Ava, who is beginning to love that Brown Truck O’ Dreams.

Only in a small town …

1. He Who Fakes It Well
    He Who Fakes It Well November 2, 2016 11:52 am

Ah, small towns… I miss living in a place like that. Last town, we had the Midnight Snowplow. If you were in hard times in the winter, there was a fair chance you’d wake up after a heavy snowfall to discover that someone had plowed your driveway in the middle of the night. Without waking anyone up (a neat trick). Some of us had our suspicions, but it was years before we learned for sure who it was, and not until he’d moved away. He never dropped any hints whatsoever.

Can’t imagine the equivalent happening here.

Pat November 2, 2016 12:00 pm

Got it! Thank you! Been needing a radio for some time, and should have had it for last month’s storm.

MamaLiberty November 2, 2016 12:01 pm

No political snail mail at all here, thank goodness. Some yard signs, but not nearly as many as I remember from last time. My favorite yard sign says: Hillary for Prison

Oh, and no ads… but there is a large blank space under the reply form… progress?

4. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair November 2, 2016 12:19 pm

I looked down. No ads. Then I remembered that Brave ships with ad blocking enabled by default, so I turned off the blocker for this site. There are those ads.

Claire November 2, 2016 12:22 pm

Oh yay — and thank you, Bill.

And yes, it’s painfully ironic that we privacy-seekers, having finally gotten so many wonderful tools, are not only having to go out of our way to undo them but sometimes having trouble doing it.

ML — I’m hoping that the big blank space is a sign of progress, but if not, have you enabled scripts for the site? Any large blank ad space should be well above the reply form.

Claire November 2, 2016 12:23 pm

We’ve got “Hillary for Prison,” too. And SMOD of course. And “Giant Meteor 2016.” Most of our yard signs are for local races, some of which are apparently quite heated.

7. LibertyNews
    LibertyNews November 2, 2016 12:45 pm

If you enable your adblocker to allow *.amazon-adsystem.com they should start showing up. I’ve got privacy badger setup to allow them, but still block cookies and it seems to work ok.

MamaLiberty November 2, 2016 12:55 pm

I’ve “allowed” scripts for this page from the start. It doesn’t have many, but blocking scripts also blocked the comments form, if I remember right.

Anyway, I’ve unblocked everything I can think of. 🙂

MamaLiberty November 2, 2016 1:04 pm

Added amazon-adsystem.com to allowed list.

Now the blank square has vanished. LOL

Claire November 2, 2016 1:06 pm

LibertyNews … Ah, I think maybe you’ve got it! I hope so, anyhow. Good one.

Comrade X November 2, 2016 1:28 pm

Since you brought it up, how about us seeing what your EDC looks like (now if I was you, I would even contact someone who sells something I wanted to add to my EDC with the understanding they would be mentioned in my EDC updates if I liked their sample product, winners all around because you may help sale their product & you get what you need for your EDC; it is way pass time you use your fame for some fortune).

Also on the ads, I’m on a short leach right now on my purchases (due to my own past bad behavior) however what I am doing is adding to my Amazon shopping list; items off of your ads that I may be purchasing in the future when I can stretch that lease a little, just planning a head, with me it is always about timing, I will make sure I do the purchases through your Amazon links too.

12. LarryA
    LarryA November 2, 2016 3:39 pm

Well, almost all the time. You didn’t have anything dangling in THE MOVIE.

Joel November 2, 2016 4:06 pm

Hey, I can see the ads now.

Great price on those buckets & spin-on lids. And I need more. Not so much the Mountain House @ $7 a package, though…

Claire November 2, 2016 4:17 pm

And here I put the Mountain House packets in the ad mainly so there’d be a few inexpensive items …

Claire November 2, 2016 4:18 pm

“You didn’t have anything dangling in THE MOVIE.”

Yeah, and you know, it was like being completely freaking naked.

16. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 2, 2016 6:45 pm

“Not quite as entertaining as Hillary’s Weiner, but way more drama than we’re used to hereabouts.

Ha, Claire! 🙂 Same here! Hard to make this stuff up until you do your homework and find out that HRC encouraged Huma to date Carlos Danger:

17. Laird
    Laird November 3, 2016 9:59 am

The ads appear on my screen with no problem. But then, I’m an idiot troglodyte who uses Windows and Internet Explorer. They seem to like Amazon just fine!

I’ve been amazed at the lack of yard signs where I live. Almost none for either Trump or Hillary. The most around are for Gary Johnson, and that’s only 4 (and two of those are outside my driveway!). And just as unusual: no one has disturbed them, and they’ve been there for weeks. Usually political yard signs are stolen by the opposition as soon as they go up.

And almost no campaign mailings, either. This is a solidly “red” state so neither presidential campaign is wasting money here, and most of the state and local elections are uncontested (or with only nominal opposition to the incumbent). Around here, all the action is in the primaries.

18. Ellendra
    Ellendra November 3, 2016 10:08 am

I almost placed a big (well, big for me) Amazon order at the end of October, but I saw that you’d get more if I waited. Now I’m waiting on an issue with my card to clear up, but you should see that order in the next few days 🙂

19. Bill T
    Bill T November 3, 2016 10:38 am

Don’t get me started on the mailers. I will be so glad when the election is over and I no longer have to throw a half a dozen of them a day. There is a very nasty state senate race in the district I live in. And it is just as you say there are all negative for both sides. I’ve often wondered what is so great about being a part time legislator that they spend more than they will make for their whole term just to get elected. On an other note, while they are pricey I have the Max Pedition Sitka Gearslinger I use as my truck bag and really like it.

20. LarryA
    LarryA November 3, 2016 4:12 pm

The most powerful drug in politics isn’t cash. What elected officials are most addicted to is power.
    Besides, they usually aren’t spending their money. Mass mailings and such are funded, either over or under the table, by those who hope to direct the use of power.

Claire November 3, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you, Ellendra. Hope (and not just for selfish reasons) that your card problem clears up soon.

It’ll still be a few days before I can figure out exactly how the 12% works.

I know it works for the specific items shown in the ads (as long as they’re not in an excluded category). But for the most part, I’d be surprised if people bought those exact items rather than something similar that they chose for themselves.

I know it works for some related items, but I don’t know whether those items were found via the search box on each ad or whether they were purchased after someone clicked through to a featured item. Or both. Both would be nice. 🙂

I wish Amazon were more forthcoming. But we’ll figure this out.