Thursday links

• Bill Weld has turned the Libertarian Party into even more of a fiasco than it’s previously been. He’s not only driving away individuals with his ignorant anti-gunnery and his preening support for Hillary Clinton. Even state LP organizations are holding their noses and running from him.
  • Mike Jordan, who participated in the Cascadia Rising exercise and is busily answering questions for a Living Freedom interview, sends along these two links — mostly of interest to communications folks: Cascadia Rising Resources and the Department of (Achtung!) Homeland Security’s National Interoperability Field Operations Guide (which Mike say is damn good considering the highly suspect source. Scary, but also full of wonderful info, he adds).
  • Lot of talk about fear these days. And rightly so. Scott Adams writes that fear is a powerful persuader as the presidential race draws to a close. The ZMan writes that fear is making us batshit crazy (which my recent foray into Gab.ai confirms; every rumor, however wild and unverifiable, sets off waves of either panic or glee depending on whose partisanship it strokes).
  • And trust. While I’ve celebrated the fact that people are waking up to the fact that “their” government is untrustworthy (and in fact is out to destroy them and everything they value), there’s a deeper level at which lack of trust — for our fellow humans — is deadly dangerous. Over at the Cabal, we’ve started a discussion based on this article about the potential for civil war in the U.S. The article is part brilliant, part bogus, but most important IMHO is what it notes about the decay of trust.
  • Will we end up looking in the Balkans mirror? (H/T JB)
  • And once again, to renew your spirit, have some dogs. Specifically, before and afters for 36 rescued pooches.

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran November 3, 2016 12:53 pm

I’ve voted for a Libertarian candidate for President in the past, so it’s not unprecedented for me, but Johnson and Weld just don’t cut it for me. I will fight to the death defending our Constitution and as we all know, the Second Amendment is what protects the rest of them and I will NOT vote for a ticket that includes a gun-grabber candidate!

2. jed
    jed November 3, 2016 1:51 pm

Naturally, I thought of the Pacific coast when I 1st saw mention of the Tsunami Ball. That’s the commercial version – there are home-brew versions noted around the web.

I don’t recall when I 1st heard mention of Selco – probably some post at WRSA, or maybe Max Velocity. Particularly, his accounts of real-life situations over there are chilling. I have a notion that the US could quite well end up balkanized. And that would be a mess. Perhaps no worse than any alternatives though.

3. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal November 3, 2016 2:38 pm

I see fear as the foundation of most statism. “Laws” are an expression of cowardice. If something scares you- Cannabis, “brown people”, vile religions, guns, whatever- get someone to make up a “law” so you don’t have to actually be responsible for yourself. Or, so they seem to believe.
    So, it’s only natural that the holiest of Statist rituals would be driven by fear.

Claire November 3, 2016 2:43 pm

Wow, jed. Tsunami balls. That’s a bizarro notion! A rich person’s folly or a brilliant idea whose time has come? I do find it hard to believe that an aluminum shell can take the kind of beating repeated tsunamis (slamming into and being slammed by trees, boats, concrete abutments, houses, etc) would dish out. OTOH, if I had a gazillion bucks, I might buy one for my garage, just in case. For some people, like those on the LB Peninsula, it might be better than nothing.

5. M Ryan
    M Ryan November 3, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: the potential for civil war in the U.S… Interesting article on a subject that I’ve seen in other forums. One thing that a lot of people are missing, the United States is not alone and the actions of Americans have a ripple effect worldwide.

If a civil war broke out how long do you really think it would be before Russia moved? Personally I would say a matter of days, no more than a month, max. The Russians would move on the rest of Europe. With the American military tied up at home, they would no longer offer a counter force to Russian aggression. If it looked like Europe was going to be over run, I would bet the dollars to doughnuts the French and possibly the Brits would use nukes then Russia would reply in kind. If the American military managed to get untangled from things at home and joined the fight in Europe then it would only be a short matter of time before Russia had it’s back to the wall and used nukes to defend itself.

Meanwhile in the far east I also have a feeling the Chinese would also be on the move. Another player who would be unchained by an American absence would be the North Koreans and with those bat crap crazy folks nukes would be involved.

It’s a fun table top exercise to talk about a second civil war but in reality, with tens of millions of lives in the balance, the butcher’s bill would get real big real fast. So let’s hope cooler heads prevail.

Comrade X November 4, 2016 1:18 pm

M Ryan; 100 years ago, over a period of only a few decades there sure was a whole bunch of killin going on, today I bet if we put our minds to it we could set some new records in record time also.

I been following Selco for years, excellent insights on what SHIT might look like, he should know since he lived it. He even offers a class in his homeland on how to survived it which would be a little different than going to Hawaii for a vacation I bet.