- Free-range kids are now legal in Utah. Why should it ever have been otherwise? (H/T BD)
- Hahaha. So much for biometrics. A group of researchers has created a wearable tool that enables you to fool facial recognition systems into thinking you’re somebody else. A specific somebody else of your choice, apparently.
- What it’s going to be like, ordering from Facebook Pizza. (Via ILTim in comments)
- Harrowing stories of trans people who’ve bitterly regretted their sex-reassignment surgeries.
- The new Wes Anderson stop-action film, Isle of Dogs is getting raves. There was a real-world isle of dogs that was a hellish deathtrap for canines and might even have helped bring down the Ottoman Empire. (The name of the monster who created the place was vaguely familiar to me and I was delighted to confirm that he was assassinated a few years later, though for causes unrelated.)
- Long but very touching: a mooving story of farming. (Tip o’ hat to Shel)
I didn’t get very far in the transgender article (and don’t even want to see the dog island article). I immediately thought of the three women to have confided in me that they have had abortions; all of them were haunted by the incidents. With the abortion clinics being the ones who counsel young pregnant women, of course the advice will be skewed towards the “procedure.” And the oppressive gender identity madness pushed by the mainstream media spews vitriol beyond my ability to fathom, honestly. I believe I’ve linked this video before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQH0g9onf8 Needless to say, there are plenty more demonstrating the same demagoguery.
Regarding the deserved assassination of the Turk who orchestrated genocide, I remember growing up that a child, if he (or she) said they were hungry, might jokingly be reminded that the complainer wasn’t a “starving Armenian.”
Free-range kids now being “legal” in Utah sounds like the choice of customers having to “opt out” of certain policies from companies which they never agreed to opt into in the first place.
Psychiatrists are reneging on their oath to “do no harm” by interfering and assuming to direct the psychological problems of their patients. Transgenders suffer more so because there is no attempt to reason the problem through, or to find out if the patient does have a psychiatric problem with gender. The attitude of that Dr. Kennedy was appalling as a psychiatrist, apart from how she handled the gender problem itself.
In the good new department, Noor Salman has been acquitted on all charges in Orlando, Her arrest and prosecution were nothing but a disgusting attempt by the government to save face.
Loved the article about fooling facial-recognition software.
I don’t see much actual freedom involved in the Utah “free range” idea. Bears no resemblance to my free range childhood. https://thepriceofliberty.org/2018/03/24/free-range-parenting-now-legal-in-utah/
trans and mental illness equal disasters.
About that “free range” stuff, that’s the sort of thing that I considered _normal_ when I was growing up. It was no big deal for me to spend all of my time outdoors, unsupervised, and after a while, get on the subway and head on into Manhattan! These days? I have no idea what it’d be like, and I’m not sure how much I want to find out.