Friday links

1. Owl
    Owl April 20, 2018 5:46 am

– We cannot do good if we are not free to do wrong – I’ve long held that one cannot be a moral person unless one is free to be immoral, which is why morality cannot not be legislated. As a corollary, you cannot be moral if you have no sense of right or wrong – at best you are then amoral. Had some interesting discussions about that over the years.

– Warsaw Ghetto like a gated community? Sounds like something that would come from The Onion (back when it was good.)

– Science and free speech – Shaking my head that this has to be mentioned at all.

Comrade X April 20, 2018 8:20 am

We cannot do good if we’re not free to do wrong article reminds me of this;

“Gradually it was disclosed to me that the line separating good and evil passes not between
    states nor between classes nor between political parties, but right through every human heart.”

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold April 20, 2018 8:30 am

We cannot do good if we are not free to do wrong
    This should be obvious, and what Owl said.
    OTOH in my experience the good v bad choices are usually simple. (Note that “simple” does not equal “easy.”) It tends to be much more difficult to choose when both choices are right or both choices are wrong; the greater of two goods or the lesser of two evils.

Warsaw ghetto: Denial isn’t a river in Egypt.
    OTOH I get the same feeling when Jewish friends tell me gun control is okay because the police will protect them.

The infamous poop train has finally moved on.
    So Hillary was right? NYC was one of the “productive” areas that voted for her.

I spent a couple of years about 30 miles from Victorville, in Barstow.
    The article fails to mention a real danger from tumbleweeds: They burn like gasoline vapor. (Very dry kindling spread out so there’s plenty of oxygen. Add flame, and FOOOOOSH!.)
    Back in the Boy Scouts a small one landed in a cooking fire, and there were singed eyebrows all around. Luckily we were fixing foil stew, and the sealed pouches were in the coals. The weed burned so fast it didn’t bother supper.

4. ellendra
    ellendra April 20, 2018 8:56 am

Back in college, one of my class projects was a comparison of different ways to turn sewage sludge into energy. Any one of them would work better, smell better, and be more economical that hauling it to Alabama and letting it ferment for two months!!

5. Mark Call
    Mark Call April 20, 2018 10:06 am

“We cannot do good if we are not free to do wrong.” Nice article, but obvious only if one acknowledges the concept of “free will” — not so much on college campi, for example…
    It IS, however, the essence of what I call the “most elegant two-word summary of Scripture”: (Deuteronomy 30:15) — “choose life”.

Which makes the next “Scientific Importance of Free Speech” kinda poignant. I noted what looked like two contradictory Feynman quotes in close proximity, but they make a similar point.

1963: “There is no authority who decides what is a good idea.”

Followed by, ironically, (re: Challenger O-rings) ” For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.”

Hmm. Maybe there IS an Authority after all.

6. fred
    fred April 21, 2018 1:23 am

I have the book and the kindle book.Kindle lets the computer read it to me,really appreciate that!!Excellent job Claire and Kit!

That Gates thing is scary. Bud lives in Victor and called during wind storm.He literally couldnt leave the house for the massive sandstorm.