They were having a sale at the pot shop

Oh, you have no idea how delighted I am to be able to say that.

It’s 420 and the local cannabis dealer was mobbed this a.m. for its annual sale. It’s a beautiful shop run by nice people and I’m so glad to see it making a (you’ll pardon the expression) hit. It’s beloved by recreational users, cancer patients, pain patients, people with digestive issues, and certainly by the ‘crats who collect marijuana taxes.

While the budtenders are mostly young kids (who, for some reason have taken to wearing Bob Marley dreads despite most of them being white and female), the average customer seems to be an old logger or vet self-medicating his aches or a superannuated hippie. Or all of the above.

Funny thing; now that there’s a shining legal cannabis dealer practically within walking distance, I seldom indulge. I was never that big a pot fan, anyhow, and now I’m positively blasé about the stuff. Which makes me no less glad the store is there.

Sometimes I go in just to enjoy the ambiance and admire the increasingly sophisticated and high (you’ll pardon the expression) quality products available.

Man, pot has come a long, long, loooooong way from those baggies of ditchweed filled with seeds and stems.

—–

Speaking of which: When I wrote my article on legal cannabis for Backwoods Home, I interviewed a flamboyant middle aged couple with a proud new startup.* They told me they were working on a concentrate that would be like nothing else on the market and that they were aiming to become one of the top-volume processors in the state.

Their concentrate has since hit the market and become super popular.

The wife had a promo table outside today’s event. I re-introduced myself to her and we chatted for a while. I’d made a small purchase of one of their products and told her it was the best of the best. She told me they’re well on their way to the top.

Then she plied me with a free sweatshirt, pen, drink coozie, and window cling. šŸ™‚

I prolly won’t stick that cling on my car window, though.

—–

* Well, they’d actually been in the business for 40 years, but we won’t mention that, will we? Becoming legal has enabled them to go beyond anything they could do in the underground market.

Legalization, along with the harmonizing of the medical and recreational markets, has brought increased quality control, as well as a huge boom in new products, including ones with previously unavailable CBD/THC ratios for a variety of conditions and experiences.

Comrade X April 20, 2018 1:46 pm

And I was told recently about someone selling $50/oz.

I’ve heard that in Oregon there’s a oversupply which makes me wonder when will government start to protect the farmers with caps (once they get a Pot growers association it will only be a matter of time and campaign contributions before it happens I bet), here’s an interesting article about growers wanting to use the law to stop the competition from oversupply;

“Some legal growers have expressed hopes that law enforcement would crack down on the underground market in hopes that would keep prices up in the legal market. (Note: this could backfire as many farmers who are in the permit process and are trying to be completely legal continue to divert some pounds to the black market as they struggle to bring in enough money to make the transition without failing.)”

Claire April 20, 2018 3:26 pm

“And I was told recently about someone selling $50/oz.”

$50 an ounce? Seriously? That’s less than $2 a gram!

Around here, you can get low-quality legal bud for $6/gm, very decent product for $15/gm, and absolute top-of-the-line bud for $20/gm. Then there’s the endless variety of edibles, drinkables, topical ointments, sprays, tinctures, dab, shatter, and other types of (terrifyingly potent) concentrates. Some of those are quite expensive but are either delicious or pack enough of a punch to knock you to your knees.

I’ve bought dab but never used it for its intended purpose; a flea-sized drop in a spoonful of honey suits my wimpy nature. I like it because I don’t have to breathe it. (You can’t ingest all dabs by mouth; you can with the type I’ve bought.)

—–

Sad but I suppose inevitable that legalization will also lead to lobbying and a takeover by “big cannabis” in some way or another.

3. Shel
    Shel April 20, 2018 4:58 pm

I remember when I turned 21 there didn’t seem to be much point in going to bars anymore.

4. fred
    fred April 20, 2018 6:24 pm

No such thing as oversupply.there is NO REASON pot shouldnt sell for 7 dollars a pack like cigarettes do.

Wah wah wah! Too bad the market will set the price,not the previous illegal black market setting prices sky high.

And law crackdown on illegal sales,hasnt worked before and isnt going to work now….that said,I dont even use it but so glad its legal.Now lets get mushrooms and LSD and their fantastic medical benefits in play too!

AND continue getting the gov out of regulating how you and what you consume PLANTS for.

CBD’s,yay!!!!!

And IF I ever consume,I would just grow my own,why pay to purchase something literally as easy to grow as weeds?????

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold April 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Now if the PTB would only figure out that the same benefits would accrue by unprohibiting all the other stuff people want to have fun doing, life in the U.S. would be a lot easier, cheaper, and more peaceful. Also a lot of the ‘crats and ‘forcers would have to find useful work.

Joel April 21, 2018 5:55 am

…and if wishes were horses we’d all be eatin’ steak. šŸ˜‰

Joel April 21, 2018 6:15 am

Also: Thanks loads, Claire. Now I have They Were Having a Sale at the Gun Store stuck in my head.

Claire April 21, 2018 9:47 am

LOL, Laird. I love it (other than them being “progressive” nuns). But they wouldn’t love me; I’d touch one plant and their entire crop would shrivel and die.

BTW, here’s a non-FB link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQgTcXJkwTc

Not that going directly to YouTube is that much better. I now have to go clean the cooties from both sites off my computer.

Claire April 21, 2018 9:49 am

And Joel … that was purely by design. Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha! (But if you have to have a song stuck in your head, that’s a good one.)