Weekend links

• Maqgie McNeill lets loose on “…every yahoo endowed with a one-dimensional sense of ethics who brays that the current sorry state of the American empire is the fault of whichever ‘wing’ of the US Fascist Party he does not identify with.”
  • Joel Kotkin: American Jews should wake up and realize which side their most dangerous enemies are on. (Via Instapundit)
  • At Harvard, you can’t even say “free speech” if you want to hold an event there. Because, you know, free speech is such a right-wing thing.
  • And at Duke University, it would be wrong to punish students who disrupt an event because that would hurt their feelings.
  • Chuckie Schumer explains why federalism is good for cannabis but bad for everything else. (Satire.)
  • While Zuckerberg assures Congress that all of F*c*b**k’s privacy violations are due to innocent errors of youthful enthusiasm, his lawyers fight in court on behalf of every violation … and FB has just changed its terms to remove 1.5 billion users from upcoming European privacy protections. Previously the Zuck claimed FB intended to implement the new protections globally.
  • The title is “Why Jews Don’t Believe in Original Sin,” but the article is an interesting glimpse into the meaning of biblical words.
  • Since I’m posting so much for Jews today, here’s one for Christians (or anybody who values living life in integrity). From Sports Illustrated, yet; courtesy of Comrade X.
  • I’m not sure how this new “surveillance-free layer” atop the Internet differs from a plain old VPN. The article is lite on detail; but Silicon Valley venture capitalists are interested.
  • Surprise, surprise. A farmer notifies his new neighbors that farm animals make noise and smell.
  • Beaux Tox, a mistreated dog with a deformed face, gets a happy new rescue home.
  • This 17-year-old cattledog is deaf and partially blind. But he helped save his three-year-old human’s life.

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran April 21, 2018 8:17 am

Concerning Schumer changing his stance on weed, I actually agree with him and hell has frozen over! 🙂

2. ellendra
    ellendra April 21, 2018 10:16 am

Re: farmer’s sign

The township where my land is, the building permit application includes a page describing the “Realities of Country Living”. It describes not just the noises and smells, but also the traffic from farm equipment, the dust from farm activities, the lack of public services like garbage pickup or snow plowing, etc.

So far, it has kept the place from being overrun by city rats like some other communities. There are a few here and there, yes, but not enough to take over.

3. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson April 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Please pardon me if I’m preaching to the choir. I’m writing more to think this through than to impart any special wisdom.

I agree with the central argument that Jews have far more to fear from the SJW Left than from the sclerotic fascist Right. The article is correct in saying that the far right is nearly extinct, except in fevered minds. The Left is dangerous because they are ascendant and are calling for the destruction of the very liberal freedoms that make all minority groups safe.

For several years after 9-11, the FBI closely monitored “chatter” between radical Muslim groups around the world. The FBI learned that terrorist leaders were frustrated that, although they were able to spark terrorist events in much of Europe, the Muslims in the U.S. were uninterested in participating. The leaders moaned that U.S. Muslims were more interested in running their businesses and getting their kids into good schools than in Jihad.

I also recall a staged experiment a couple of years ago in which a swarthy looking young man was stationed at a very busy lunch counter, and a planted actor would approach the counter and say anti-Muslim things to the young man loud enough for the rest of the customers in line to hear. The experiment was run several times and without exception the crowd would berate the actor for his boorish behavior. Probably the best incident was when a soldier in uniform stepped forward and delivered a powerful 30 second speech saying he put on that uniform to prevent that kind of poisonous thinking from invading America.

What is true for the Muslims, is true for the Jews.

Unlike much of the world, our tradition teaches us ‘all men are created equal,’ and by-and-large Americans live their personal lives by that sentiment. When someone is treated unfairly because of their religion, race, or gender, Americans generally react negatively despite the best efforts of the baiters who try to balkanize us. That sense of fairness (not to say acceptance…since one does not have to like the other person to believe they should have equal rights) de-fangs anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant, etc., beliefs. “I may not like what you say but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.”

As long as Americans still believe in the essential equality of individuals, Jews in the U.S. are safe, as are Muslims, Blacks, Catholics, etc. That sense of safety allows us to avoid balkanization, and it accounts for the relative lack of animosity between ethnic and religious groups in the U.S. But the Left is busy, via Intersectionality, finding ways to make some individuals more equal than others. It is a short hop from forcible social justice to scapegoating (indeed, the two are inseparable). Scapegoating is the conveyor belt to gas chambers.

(I would argue that the writer conflates a disgust with the Israeli government, prompting BDS, with a disgust for Jewishness. It is clear that most people have no problem making the distinction between the two. Indeed, I have a pen-pal friend who bills himself as the Jewish Libertarian. He is one of the ‘settlers’ in Samaria, and he has no love for the Israeli government. If he can make such a distinction between his affinity for Jewishness and his anti-Israeli government sentiments, why does the writer assume those who participate in BDS cannot do the same? BTW: I do not participate in such broad boycotts…they tend to hurt the very people you wish to help. BDS has resulted in hurting Israeli businesses that employ…Arabs.)

4. Technomad
    Technomad April 21, 2018 12:43 pm

Have you, of all people, forgotten the significance of this day? I was expecting a mention, at least, of Waco. I still consider Waco unfinished business.

5. (Claire
    (Claire April 21, 2018 1:05 pm

Technomad — If you’ll look back to 4/19, you’ll see that although I only posted a link, it was to a most excellent essay on the meaning of that day. (You say “this day,” but if 4/21 has any particular significance connected with the Waco atrocities, then indeed I have forgotten.)

I also, earlier in the week (4/18, I believe), linked to another essay on Waco.

I’m sorry if my blogging doesn’t meet your expectations, but in this case your expectations seem a bit odd to me.

6. Myself
    Myself April 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah, Gee, Claire how dare you write what you wish, and link to whomever, or whatever, you wish on your own blog?!

Claire April 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Myself — I do it because I’m rotten. When I finally fall into a vat of radioactive industrial sludge and get turned into a supervillain, my secret identity will be BadDog and my ultimate weapon will be the Dreaded RabiesRay.

8. Myself
    Myself April 21, 2018 6:00 pm

P.S. I love the links to Maggie McNeill, always glad to see others reading her!!

Comrade X April 22, 2018 12:03 pm

Claire might be rotten to the core but it’s a good core; it is!

I’s find Beaux the most beautiful dog I ever did see!