- If you’re a prominent pro-gun Parkland student, prepare to be grilled, insulted, and generally abused.
- In London (and to a lesser degree, all across England) violent crimes continue to soar. Murders up 44%! But worry not. The problem is entirely the fault of knives. A little knife control will take care of that.
- The growing audiences drawn by people like Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, and Ben Shapiro (who wrote the article) show that people crave and appreciate meaty arguments — even and perhaps especially when the mob doesn’t want those arguments heard.
- Talk about fake news; how ’bout a fake journalist?
- Deliberately disappearing emails sound like a distinctly mixed blessing. (H/T BD)
- This will be a tragedy for us all. How colleges are ripping off ill-prepared students. The stats are pretty shocking, even to those who already know the reality.
- A friend and I were just talking yesterday about vital it was that our parents read aloud to us when we were young.
- On the other hand, if you want to put your kids off literacy forever, or perhaps just generally warp them, you could teach them with this alphabet of death.
- How to sell your 1999 Toyota Corolla. 🙂
“The tools work even with emails sent to non-Gmail accounts. “
My first reaction is that anyone using this on me (except maybe if he gave me a heads up and explanation beforehand), is getting blacklisted unto the end of time.
My wife and I read aloud to our kids and now our kids are reading aloud to their kids and when I get to see the grandkids, I read a loud to them! It’s also wonderful for bonding with the kids!
Interesting thing in Broward County;
A dear friend who grew up in Oldham once explained the Manchester area- known even in the 70s as Gunchester- thus:
“Yoo give meh thousand pound an’ ‘alff an hour, an’ ahl getcheh a pounda mareyhawanna ‘r an AK-47, w’icheveh y’wont. Can’t do t’both, boot ah’ll getcheh won. Fook me, prob’ly ‘ave easier time wit’ t’goon, if ah’m honest…”
The facial disfugurement known as the Glasgow Grin was locally called the Manchester Minge, reflecting the Mancunian propensities for violence and perversion in equal measure.
Nasty place, are t’Old Smoke.
Knife crimes soars by more than a fifth across England and Wales driven by weapons epidemic in London
I thought Claire might be exaggerating. But “weapons epidemic?” Because until now there were only a few knives in the city?
Proper response from the Parkland kid (or any other called in by the SRO for interrogation):
“Not without my parents.”
The only solution to the email problem is don’t send anything you don’t want your mother to read.
I read Peterson’s 12 Rules. Good book. Maybe great. Lots to chew on. He is not a ‘libertarian,’ but he makes strong arguments that most libertarians would be comfortable with. A key part of his argument is that our culture evolved over tens of thousands of years, each generation adding a bit of wisdom to the problem of understanding life. Our religions, myths, ancient philosophies are the accumulated wisdom of the ages and they ought to be respected. They may be wrong…and it is our duty to THINK about everything and decide what is correct…but we need darned good reasons to toss tradition out and replace it with something we dreamed up yesterday.
So, he has little good to say about BLM, progressives, modern feminism, Social Justice, etc. He is not merely grousing. He is intellectually taking apart and exposing our modern culture for the rotted hulk that it is and proposing simple approaches to recovering our individual sanity. And (here’s the most libertarian part), it is all about the individual.
Clean your room. Pet a cat (and a dog). Don’t bother kids that are skateboarding. There are life-lessons in those prescriptions.
Re – reading aloud to your kids
As mine got older and more accomplished we took turns reading the books.
Then in late teenhood, he caught the audiobook disease that his father has and listens regularly when driving.
Re Jordan Peterson – he has a YouTube channel that is well worth the time to check out regularly – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q