Weekend links

Got five bux for a latte? Don’t buy one of those; they’re fattening! Donate your coffee money to my fundraiser. Then it’ll fatten at the finish, thanks to a matching-donation offer.

Joel May 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Isn’t a black bar on the German flag cultural appropriation? Have they checked with the Kwaanza gods about that? Maybe there’s some sort of waiver, I dunno, diversity points for taking in all those peaceful refugees?

2. fred
    fred May 19, 2018 12:42 pm

German flag—->That’s not funny. Get back to work.- Brahahahahahahahaaaa!!!!
    =========================
    I saw a brain scan that shows the normal brain lit up,MAYBE 10% showed a little color.Then the brain on LSD,looked on fire with vibrant color throughout.Seems clear to me hallucinogens have tremendous potential to unlock the brain.

Far better than what Big Pharma has to offer for mental health.
    I truly hope we can awaken enough to allow this potential to be explored and the politics of big pharma,the drug warriors,law enforcement,etc,can be defeated.

As for the book he wrote,I dont need the book,Ive BTDT.If I could legalize one drug class and eliminate another,i would bring on the hallucinogens and remove the amphetamines.

3. fred
    fred May 19, 2018 12:48 pm

The war on drugs is the war on people.No more,no less.

4. fred
    fred May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

In one study in the late 1950s, Dr. Humphry Osmond gave LSD to alcoholics in Alcoholics Anonymous who had failed to quit drinking.[15] After one year, around 50% of the study group had not had a drink — a success rate that has never been duplicated by any other means.[16]
    —————————
    Eight subjects received a full 200-microgram dose of LSD while four others received one-tenth as much. Participants then took part in two LSD-assisted therapy sessions two to three weeks apart. Subjects who took the full dose experienced reductions in anxiety averaging 20 per cent while those given the low dose reported becoming more anxious.

When subjects taking the low dose were switched to the full dose they too showed reduced anxiety, with the positive effects lasting for up to a year. The effects of the drug itself lasted for up to 10 hours with participants talking to Dr Gasser throughout the experience.

“These results indicate that when administered safely in a methodologically rigorous medically supervised psychotherapeutic setting, LSD can reduce anxiety,” the study concludes, “suggesting that larger controlled studies are warranted.”[19][20]
    ——————————-
    See also: Prohibition (drugs), Controlled Substances Act, and Convention on Psychotropic Substances

By the mid-60s the backlash against the use of LSD and its perceived corrosive effects on the values of the Western middle class resulted in governmental action to restrict the availability of the drug by making any use of it illegal.[21] LSD was declared a “Schedule I” substance, legally designating that the drug has a “high potential for abuse” and is without any “currently accepted medical use in treatment.” LSD was removed from legal circulation.
    ———————————–
    Since the late 1980s, there has also been a revival of hallucinogen research more broadly, which, in recent years, has included preclinical and clinical studies involving LSD and other compounds such as members of the 2C family compounds and psilocybin.[49][50] In particular, a study released in 2012 highlighted the extraordinary effectiveness of LSD in treating alcoholism.[51]

Claire May 19, 2018 1:16 pm

“Isn’t a black bar on the German flag cultural appropriation?”

Worse, it’s clear that the red and yellow bars are alt-right dog whistles designed to insult, respectively, Native Americans and persons of Chinese heritage.

6. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

I wonder if the TSA will consider the ‘opt outs’ to be a serious enough nuisance to put ’em on a list.

Claire May 19, 2018 4:29 pm

“Since the late 1980s, there has also been a revival of hallucinogen research more broadly,”

Part of me wants to shout hallelujah! Another part of me says it’s about damn time, and may those people burn who shut down all that research and made criminals of psychonauts and scientists.

8. fred
    fred May 20, 2018 12:03 am

Scroll down this article to see some AMAZING LSD brain images
    ————————-
    ————————-
    Professor David Nutt, former chairman of the UK Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs and senior researcher on the study, has long argued for more research into how psychedelics affect the brain and how they could be put to medical uses.
    “Scientists have waited 50 years for this moment — the revealing of how LSD alters our brain biology,” Nutt said.

“For the first time we can really see what’s happening in the brain during the psychedelic state, and can better understand why LSD had such a profound impact on self-awareness in users and on music and art. This could have great implications for psychiatry, and helping patients overcome conditions such as depression.”

9. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry May 20, 2018 1:21 am

I have several relatives who suffer from episodic Cluster Headaches. When they’re “in cycle” you can set your watch by the occurance these horriffic attacks, 3+ per day depending on the person.

Cluster Headaches are acknowledged as the most painful thing an adult Human can perceive. As far back as Galen and even before, they’ve been described in medical literature as “suicide headaches” because that was the most frequent outcome. They last 3-15 minutes apiece, and can come as often as 20x per day. Clusterheads are infamous for their perverse ability to endure surgery without anaesthesia, because after these attacks nothing else really registers.

The most effective treatment, the only one which can break up a cycle and stop the attacks, is the use of entheogens. LSD, LSA, and Psylocybin are the ones most commonly used, and according to the sufferers on ClusterBusters.com they are literally lifesaving. But the Feds would rather leave these people to suffer, or lock them up if they try to use the only effective treatment for thd most painful sensation known to medical science. Oh, and Cluster Headache syndrome runs in families. My own clock is ticking, and the precursor symptoms are already present.

And people wonder why I left the US for a country with saner drug laws and enforcement, where studies on medical cannabis and theraputic Psylocybin are ongoing at the country’s top universities. Even after I explain all of the above, people still look at me like I’m from the moon.

10. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson May 20, 2018 6:13 am

I am at least 250 miles from the nearest international border, and I am still in the ‘Constitution Free” zone? Disturbing map.

11. Art Eatman
    Art Eatman May 20, 2018 4:37 pm

I lived eight miles (airline) from the Rio Grande for thirty years. It may be seen as a Constitution-free zone, but I was never treated discourteously by any Border Patrol agent during any of my several-hundred pass-throughs.

I made a game of attempting to distract the agent to see if I could pass through without being asked about my citizenship. I’d guess about half. 🙂

12. Tahn
    Tahn May 21, 2018 8:50 am

Thank you Claire for the link to the article about Justice Stanley Mosk of the California Supreme Court. It is such a joy and inspiration to read about principled people instead of compromisers and weasels.