The Final Fundraiser begins

It’s been nearly two years since my last bleg-a-thon. Now, as promised, the Final Fundraiser begins. And I mean that. After this, I plan not to have another fundraiser unless in some extreme emergency.

I hope you’ll contribute simply because you value this blog or Claire’s Cabal. But let me tell you what I’ll use the funds for:

1. To keep the blog and the Cabal running, of course! That means not only hosting fees, maintenance and such, but also supporting the content.
  2. To finish the exterior of Ye Olde Wreck. After that, Ye Olde Wreck of a house will officially become The Mo Saoirse (My Freedom) Hermitage.
  3. To diagnose this whatever-the-heck-it-is that’s got me so beat and maybe see about treating it.

How to contribute: Let me count the ways.

1. First and easiest, PayPal.me. You can use that link even if you don’t have a PayPal account.
  2. Want to avoid PayPal? I take checks and money orders. (Email me at fundraiser-at-hermit-dot-cotse-dot-net for the addy. If you already have PO Box __71, use that. It’s still good.)
  3. Then there’s Bitcoin (BTC): 1DKntWys3q7LFyVrjozMT67zET6D8jeRk8
  4. Or Bitcoin cash (BCH): qzrj7ntpllwk6jsnmzavakm707njah3r8ykettuew9

Armored carloads of gold, silver, cash, and gems are also accepted, but I suspect the four options above will cover it for most of you. 🙂

The QR codes for BTC and BCH are in the sidebar to the right. I’ve tested the addresses, but because there are no failsafes with cryptocurrency, please contact me before sending anything major.

The goal and timing

The goal of The Final Fundraiser is $5,000. But I’ll keep it open until the end of May, and wherever we end up is where we end up. The last two times, you wonderful people blew the top right off the thermometer. Do your best once again.

“But what about that new best-selling book?”

… I hear some of you asking. “Why are you having a fundraiser when you’re about to join whatever country club J.K. Rowling hangs out at?”

Not quite. Kit and I have sold around 2,000 copies of Basics of Resistance. We’re very pleased — both with sales and reviews, thank you. But we pretty much gave away 3/4 of those copies through $0.99 Kindle pre-sales. And once royalties begin flowing (not for two months yet), we’ll be splitting everything two ways.

So no. Forget J.K. Rowling; we’re not even James Comey’s league. Or Hillary Clinton’s. Our main hope was to introduce basic resistance to a new generation, and you’ve helped us do that. But a small-press book remains a small-press book no matter how many sexy red labels Amazon slaps on its page.

So now … on with the fundraising!

Comrade X May 1, 2018 7:55 am

Claire the service you provide has real value to me; a value that money can not truly represent.

I look at some of the things I support and have supported over the years and of all of that your voice has and is the most important.

I intend to do my part in keeping that voice available.

I have this feeling we will all be needing it more than ever before in what is coming.

Claire May 1, 2018 9:00 am

Oh my. Things are happening fast.

Big thank yous to CC, TK, DZ, and two anonymous Bitcoin donors.

YUGE thank yous to D3, KK, and CY.

And a supercalifragilistic thank you to JW.

Also, when I went in to check BTC, I found another generous gift that arrived 10 days ago, unnoticed. (This is a problem with BTC; you never know who sent it and you don’t know you’ve got it until you LOOK.) So belated thanks to you, anonymous giver.

Joel May 1, 2018 10:38 am

Go go Claire Fundraiser! You provide a product that a lot of us out here value, and that we’re ready and willing to kick in to support.

(Ahem) Er, that rousing endorsement having been spoken, you’ve caught me a little short. It’s gonna be like two weeks before I can throw my two mites into the box. But they also serve who stand around and say other people should pay up, right? Right?

4. fred
    fred May 1, 2018 10:38 am

You are the ONLY blog I would give to,because you actually provide a service IMO.
    Best wishes,looks like you are going to nail this one.

Claire May 1, 2018 11:38 am

Thank you, fred and Joel.

Fred, that was quite an endorsement.

Joel, “They also serve who stand around and say other people should pay up,” is good (unless spoken by Democrats and Socialists, which it usually is; then it’s very, very bad). But I don’t expect you to donate. You live so much on the edge as it is.

Claire May 1, 2018 11:56 am

More big thank yous: MtK and TH.

7. fred
    fred May 1, 2018 12:01 pm

AND….keep on doing them yearly.We want to contribute to your message because its a good one.Its the only way I can help to get the news out.

I dont go to church,but the local church has a food bank I try to contribute to.All goes to neighbours in need,and the takers wont come because they might say Jesus or are you saved,believe it or not that keeps riff-raff out.LOVE IT!

Also I like animal rescues,I cant do that,but when I help feed them,every little bit helps a deserving animal.

Thats what I think about giving.Dont have much,but I have enough to at least try to help.

8. fred
    fred May 1, 2018 12:33 pm

Claire,thank you for reminding me to give,I made a shelter donation today.

Claire May 2, 2018 9:09 am

Another very large thank you to old friend-I’ve-never-met BT, and to BS with special thanks for the encouraging notes.

(Off to update the thermometer again …)

Claire May 2, 2018 9:14 am

Blessings on you for the shelter donation, fred.

Claire May 2, 2018 12:28 pm

And another BIG thanks to long-time friend-of-the-blog, RB.

12. Why
    Why May 3, 2018 12:08 pm

I suspect that FB is on to the pro freedom nature of your page, as viewership has dropped off significantly even though membership is growing on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

They have similarly handicapped every popular page that is to the right of Democracy Now!

I will try to post there prior to 6 AM PST to maximize views. Right now anything done after that only gets about 200.

Claire May 3, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you, anonymous Bitcoin donor, and another big thank you to a long-time blogfriend, RBG.

On the third day of the fundraiser, we’re fast approaching the 1/3 mark.

Claire May 3, 2018 7:06 pm

And a wonderful donation from BD puts us well past the 1/3 mark!

Claire May 5, 2018 10:52 am

And CC, who was among the first to contribute … donates again. His double donation will be doubled again by Anonymous Donor at the end of the fundraiser. 🙂

Claire May 5, 2018 12:54 pm

And PB, another familiar blogfriend, jumps in with a very generous donation. Thanks and good to see you again, PB!

Claire May 6, 2018 9:06 am

One more from CC. Guy, you’re wonderful, but you gotta stop this. I know you’re not exactly rolling in dough!

Claire May 7, 2018 10:46 am

Big thank you to RW, who not only gave generously but was the first to reach me with a snail-mailed donation.

Claire May 8, 2018 10:40 am

Today’s thanks go to JS, who not only landed a very generous donation in my PayPal account this morning, but who did that in addition to already being one of my biggest supporters on Patreon.

Claire May 9, 2018 5:38 pm

This second week of the fundraiser has been rather nervewracking. But JC just pushed us over the $2,000 mark with a very generous donation. Thank you, JC, and bless you for breaking today’s donation drought.

Claire May 10, 2018 11:01 am

And this morning I received a check from PT — who has suffered hard times lately and who I really didn’t expect to donate.

Thank you, PT, and know that your donation will now go twice as far.

Claire May 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Thank you, MB, for becoming our newest donor.

Claire May 11, 2018 7:12 am

And another quiet old blogfriend, JF, steps in to push us over $2,100. Thanks, JF.

Claire May 11, 2018 9:13 am

BIG thank you to our latest donor, WB. You helped make my morning. And look at that thermometer now, sneaking up on the halfway point!

Claire May 11, 2018 10:40 am

And TF weighs in with a nice donation AND an offer of gourmet coffee. (I’ll get back to you on that part, TF.)

Claire May 14, 2018 6:08 am

Kudos, thanks, and much relief go to RZ, who just broke a nearly three-day donation drought with a bounteous contribution.

Claire May 14, 2018 10:37 am

Annnnnnd, TW (a first time contributor IIRC) turns up this morning with one of the biggest donations of the month.

The one-two punch delivered by RZ and TW (on the groundwork laid by the rest of you) put us just a hair shy of the halfway mark!

Claire May 14, 2018 1:42 pm

LOL, JC makes it an even $2,500 by contributing $16.00. Nice job of rounding, JC.

29. fred
    fred May 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Month half over and half way there….

Claire May 17, 2018 10:49 am

And the “temperature” jumps again after another hair-raising, multi-day pause. Thank you, JB for warming the temperature and putting us past the halfway point.

Claire May 17, 2018 2:16 pm

TK donated a second time. The second gift was by mistake, but he refused to accept a refund. You’re a grand freedomista, TK.

Claire May 18, 2018 11:36 am

From BB comes the latest bounteous donation. Thank you, BB!

Claire May 18, 2018 3:38 pm

Thank you, PJ, for a small experiment in satoshis.

Claire May 19, 2018 4:47 am

And oh my goodness, DT weighs in with a whopper of a donation — one of the very biggest of the fundraiser — bringing us to within a whisker of the 3/5 mark. Thank you for the great morning wakeup, DT!

Claire May 19, 2018 12:20 pm

And in comes $70 from S & D!

36. fred
    fred May 19, 2018 12:49 pm

Look at that thermometer go!!!!!!

Claire May 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Yep, fred. It is a GOOOD day. And the thermometer took a nice jump again — thank you BC!

Claire May 20, 2018 4:24 am

Oh my goodness, I awoke this morning to another movingly large donation. Thank you, CE!

Claire May 20, 2018 12:04 pm

And many thanks to new donor SM! We’re getting there …

40. fred
    fred May 20, 2018 12:11 pm

Nice and steady,thats more like it.

Claire May 20, 2018 6:10 pm

And watch that thermometer rise. A great gift just arrived from new donor RG. Glad to have you here, RG.

Claire May 21, 2018 6:06 am

YUGE thank you to NA whose donation arrived unnoticed yesterday.

I didn’t spot it immediately because it was in Bitcoin Cash, which no one else has used, and which I don’t check every day. Anyhow, what a great way to start Monday morning. And for a change it’s nice to know the name of an alt-coin donor (such donations are anonymous unless the giver reveals an identity).

That donation, along with three others, also makes yesterday one of the biggest days of the fundraiser.

Claire May 21, 2018 10:58 am

Holy smokes. What can I say?

You remember that list of long-time supporters who’d fallen on hard times and weren’t likely to be able to donate this year? One of them (call him B) just knocked me flat. His donation this year was even bigger than in the days when he was without a financial care. And he sent it with the kindest note.

Claire May 21, 2018 10:59 am

And TF makes his second donation of the fundraiser! You didn’t have to to that, TF. But thank you.

And everything doubles all over again.

Claire May 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Another brand new donor, DS, puts us within a smidge of a pinch of the $4k mark!

Claire May 22, 2018 10:31 am

Annnnnd … J & KW bump us above the $4k mark!

Claire May 22, 2018 10:32 am

Faithful blogfriend RW drives up the temperature with a very generous donation.

Claire May 22, 2018 10:33 am

And TF … what can I say? Once again wow comes immediately to mind, even though it doesn’t do justice. Thank you.

Claire May 22, 2018 11:54 am

And I just discovered that another anonymous Bitcoin donor stopped by this morning, leaving a very nice sum. He or she was actually the one who put us over the $4k mark (well over it). But I didn’t see that contribution until later. Thank you, anonymous!

Claire May 24, 2018 12:30 pm

RG — who had already donated bounteously — doubles his donation. Which (with the matching donation to come) quadruples his impact.

Claire May 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Movin’ on up! KP weighs in with a kind gift, along with two anonymous Bitcoin donors!

Claire May 24, 2018 1:47 pm

Thank you and glad to see you here, first-time donor, DH!

Claire May 24, 2018 3:03 pm

On the strength of a pledge by JW, the temperature goes up by $200. I wouldn’t normally raise the level on the basis of a pledge, but JW is a long-time donor. He’s done it before and he’ll do it again.

Claire May 24, 2018 4:10 pm

And HW puts us within $150 of goal!

Claire May 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Then wonderful LA gives the temperature another big boost. Thank you, LA. You’ve put us within $47 of the top!

Claire May 24, 2018 6:23 pm

And we are OVER THE TOP — and over the moon! — thanks to KC. Is there a bell I can ring or something? WE MADE IT!!!!

Claire May 24, 2018 6:33 pm

JB — who I didn’t think was going to be able to contribute to this fundraiser — says yes, the total’s going to keep climbing. Thank you, old blogfriend.

Claire May 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Thermometer shattered and the temperature still rising — thanks th J.S., who donated early and steps in with even more!

Claire May 27, 2018 6:54 pm

Thank you, GB, for a very nice Sunday surprise.

Claire May 28, 2018 10:29 am

An enormous gift arrives from JH with the kindest, most encouraging, most welcome note imaginable. Thank you, JH, for believing I deserve both — and for your giving heart and mind.

61. fred
    fred May 29, 2018 10:18 am

Congratulations Claire.

Now dont sell yourself short,next years fund raiser needs to happen.Ava will need dog food next year too.

You arent being greedy.You are being a fine capitalist in the finest tradition.You earned it and you did so with a pure heart.Thats how its supposed to work.Its all good.Very very good.Authors get paid.

Dont know if you can break this years tremendous success,but at least give it a try.

Being Mr Average Joe (and there are a lot just like me) I vote with my wallet on many many things.Im voting for what I like,Claire and Living Freedom Blog.

Claire May 29, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks to MB and The Shy One (who hates even to have his initials appear online), the total has jumped yet another $90 this morning. Good stuff!!!

Comrade X May 29, 2018 1:09 pm

What fred said!

Claire May 30, 2018 7:56 am

Many thanks this morning to MI, who gave a gift from the heart.

Claire May 30, 2018 12:27 pm

DT steps in to make it and even $5,450. 🙂

(I was wondering where the rounder-offers had gone this year; sometimes we get full-fledged battles between those who like the round numbers and those who prefer a bit of chaos. Me, I like both.)

Thank you, DT!

Claire May 30, 2018 3:15 pm

Knock me over with a feather. Go ahead. Do it. JB — who already made one generous donation earlier in the fundraiser — just “rounded it off” again to a total of $5,700!

I said earlier today I’d be tickled if we cracked the $6k mark — not really believing that was likely. Suddenly, I’m starting to believe.

Claire May 31, 2018 5:22 am

Thank you, brand new donor MS, for the wonderful wake up on this, the final day of the Final Fundraiser!

Claire May 31, 2018 6:50 am

It’s $5,850, thanks to the generosity of WT!

Claire May 31, 2018 6:53 am

And we’ve now climbed to $5,850! Thank you, WT, for your generosity.

Comrade X May 31, 2018 8:06 am

Wow, let’s finish with a bang!!!!

Claire May 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you, anonymous Bitcoin donor!

And yes, Comrade X, we’re finishing in style.

Now I’m closing down for the evening. So the final tally on the fundraiser will be whatever I wake up to tomorrow morning. Whatever it is, I’m very happy and damn grateful.

Claire June 1, 2018 12:54 pm

The very first donor to this fundraiser was D3. Early this morning (after the official close, but let’s not get technical), I thought he was going to also be the last donor. His very large gift put us over the $6k mark.

Then along came old friend DA with a “window’s mite.” DA was one of my earliest and most enthusiastic donors, but life hasn’t been good to him recently. He was one of many people I thought would have to sit this one out. But he found a way. Thank you, DA.

Claire June 1, 2018 12:57 pm

And my final* boundless and entirely inadequate thank you goes to Anonymous Wonderman. He promised to match all your donations up to $5,000. And bless his amazing heart, he did that and even a bit more. I’ll have details on my June 1 blog post summing up the fundraiser (which I’m about to go write this minute).

*Or perhaps not final; several people have said they can’t donate until June.