Thank you for a hugely successful fundraiser

We made it.

YOU made it fantastic. The fundraiser is now over and despite a couple of nail-biting weeks in the middle, it was a roaring success. Best ever. Beyond mere words.

Number of donors: 65 — including five who donated twice, one who donated three times, and four or five suffering financial hardship who I didn’t think would be able to donate at all.

Total donated: $6,088 in the regular fundraiser + an anonymous match of $5,200. Total: $11,288. Stunning.

Largest donation: $5,200 — from Anonymous Wonderman, who had promised to match all other donations up to the original $5,000 goal. He did that — and more.

Average per donor (not including match): $93.66 — interesting how consistent this figure remained through the entire month

Smallest donation: 23,497 satoshis — which is 0.00023497 of a Bitcoin or roughly $2

Bottom line:

Clearly this is more than I ever expected. It comes at the best possible time, though. I see the doctor next week and if my whatever-it-is turns out to be something other than, “It’s all in your head, woman” or “WTF; got no idea” you’ll have provided a safety net for further diagnostics or the beginning of treatment. Or if nothing else, to put me in better position for just getting through it.

Whatever else happens, you’ve done your best once again to continue transforming Ye Olde Wreck of a house into the Mo Saoirse (My Freedom) Hermitage. The Wandering Monk shall return. And I shall be his faithful construction minion once again.

AND of course you’ve done what it takes to keep this blog blogging as long as I’m capable of blogging it. For that — for everything — I owe you thanks beyond thanks.

Claire June 1, 2018 1:32 pm

I still owe personal (emailed) thanks to seven people who’ve donated since May 29. I’ll be catching up with you this weekend.

If you donated before that you should have gotten mail from me. I’ve had only one bounce (from TH). So if you didn’t hear from me personally, your spam filter or the ether of the ‘Net is probably to blame. I don’t want anyone to go unthanked. I owe you all.

2. Matching Donor
    Matching Donor June 1, 2018 2:10 pm

Congratulations Claire! The way your readers came together not only with donations but words of encouragement is heartwarming. You’ve earned a lot of great friends and I’m proud to be a member of your online community.

Claire June 1, 2018 2:44 pm

I know it’s far too feeble to say I couldn’t have done it without you, Matching Donor. But … I (and we) couldn’t have done it without you. I mean that in the most literal sense and with deepest awe.

It’s true that I’m surrounded by the best of the best blogfriends and freedomistas.

4. DistOne
    DistOne June 1, 2018 2:51 pm

Congratulations on the success of the fund raiser. Hopefully you can spend it on fun projects, instead of medical bills.

5. khperkins
    khperkins June 1, 2018 3:15 pm

Yay! Glad the blog can keep going. Hope the health stuff isn’t serious, I know the bills can suck up money real fast.

6. free.and.true
    free.and.true June 1, 2018 3:20 pm

Bravo, Claire and donors. Very glad it turned out so well.

Comrade X June 1, 2018 3:48 pm

I for one (I’s bet others too) think what we gave was a small price for what we have gotten from you being here.

And most importantly Ava gets her BACOOOOOOOOOOON!!!

8. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit June 1, 2018 4:00 pm

WooHoo! Your reader friends are the best and you deserve all of our appreciation and gratitude!

9. Iwoots
    Iwoots June 1, 2018 8:11 pm

Since part of my job as a “Facilities Manager” (i.e. handyman & janitor) is to be blamed for everything that goes wrong, I accept the blame for the “couple of nail-biting weeks in the middle”.

And Cool! Looking forward to more posts about everyone’s favorite Wandering Monk.

(Actually, I just had to wait for my credit card statement date to pass.)

10. Myself
    Myself June 1, 2018 8:34 pm

Glad it went well, wish I could have gave more

11. deLaune
    deLaune June 2, 2018 5:35 am

Congratulations on your success — and your wonderful supporters.

Joel June 2, 2018 9:39 am

That’s wonderful, Claire. I was worried there for a while – but your folks came through. Congratulations!

Claire June 4, 2018 7:34 am

For sure we do need assistance with that tongue twister (or actually, eyeball twister, since the word’s not that hard on the tongue). But Saoirse herself is misleading us. When she says “Saoirse rhymes with inertia” (i.e. SUR-sha), she’s giving us the American version. The actual Irish pronunciation is more like SEER-sha — and reportedly she uses that pronunciation when she’s at home.

Why she thinks SUR-sha is easier for Americans than SEER-sha, I don’t know. Maybe just because “inertia” is an easy comparison.

Cute clip, though, thank you. And so true; Irish spelling is like a giant collection of typos.