Thursday links

Yesterday, a mountain goat fought off an eagle. Today … well, don’t get between a mama dog and her pup, even if you happen to be a leopard:

1. Jim B.
    Jim B. June 7, 2018 4:34 am

Wouldn’t be surprised if Hogg himself had something to do with calling in the Hostage crisis thus making it a False Flag event. Even so, he probably don’t realize that people do die from being Swatted which is probably why he’s so calm.

Joel June 7, 2018 6:01 am

…or why the swatting happened when the whole family was out of town…

Joel June 7, 2018 6:12 am

Also I love that song even though I know it’s supposed to make me mad, and what’s a leopard doing in a … What is that, some sort of office building?

4. Owl
    Owl June 7, 2018 6:24 am

I am severely agnostic. I would be completely atheist if I was absolutely sure there was no ‘God’, whatever that concept may be. But that is impossible to prove or disprove, so the reasonable part of me says “I don’t know, and I can’t know. I’ll live with that.”

I used to be very dismissive of religion, to the point of contempt, but eventually came to a similar conclusion as the article. If it helps people cope and survive in this f@#$%d up world, who am I to say they are wrong. True, religion can, and has, been used to justify evil. But that may just be yin and yang – anything can be used for good or evil.

Pat June 7, 2018 6:42 am

I suspect the Supreme Court doesn’t know what to do with the religion-discrimination issue. To give the business owner the full right to decide who s/he can serve would deny the Civil Rights Act(s) which precipitated from (among other things) the sit-ins of the 60s. So the Supremes would rather keep it in the religion corner because it’s safer for them to handle as a Constitutional right. But some day a discrimination issue will arise that puts them on the hot seat; that should be interesting.

Re the Spirituality article:
    “During their varied transcendent states, all subjects showed similar activity patterns in the parietal cortex, which processes sensation, spatial orientation, and language, and is thought to influence attention, among other functions.”

So it’s not spirituality as such, but the parietal cortex that comes into play. This makes sense as it relates to feelings, concern, attention, and response which brings “spirituality” into our consciousness. As we become aware, we apply our awareness to our “sensations” and (often for many people) substitute the spiritual reaction, or overlap it onto the conscious reality. I would call this a corollary at best; more likely, Spirituality came in the back door as an explanation for our sensations.

6. Mark Call
    Mark Call June 7, 2018 7:30 am

Tracinski is on the right track, but stops short of where SCOTUS is ultimately, and inevitably, headed. (see “Obergefell” — where the introductory summary lays it all out: It’s all about LICENSED marriage.)

The baker is a licensed business. Thus he is a slave (the 13th Amendment was clearly superseded by the “slavery by agreement” provisions of the 14th). You CAN trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety, or even a birthright for a cup of pottage.

And once the “deal with the devil” is made — Big Brother will enforce it. Politely, at first.

But – as the Wicked Witch of the West pointed out – and SCOTUS just reaffirmed:

“These things must be done DELICATELY.”

There are many ways to be “subject to the jurisdiction thereof”. And licenses to exercise what were once Rights are right up there with ‘commerce’ via dishonest money.

7. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal June 7, 2018 7:48 am

I saw people celebrating the Hogg “SWATting” and I was instantly disgusted. When I say I wouldn’t want that to happen to my worst enemy, I mean it. Cops are murderous scum, and sending them to someone’s house is an evil act, no matter who they are.

My objection to religion isn’t that it can comfort people, it is that it is used as a weapon against liberty. (I consider Statism to be the world’s most popular religion, so even most “atheists” have this weapon at their disposal.) Believe what you want to believe, but if you try to use that belief as justification to molest people with “laws”, I’m not going to hold back from pointing out the evil and stupidity of your religion. Keep it in your pants, and we’ll be fine.

8. Deb
    Deb June 9, 2018 8:50 pm

I believe in a higher power, but I do not believe in churches and organized religion. I was raised in the Southern Baptist church and have had all I ever want of church. But I do believe that there is something greater than us.

And as for Mr. Hogg, My first thought was that he probably swatted himself for the publicity. But wether he did it himself, or someone did it to him, it’s stupid and dangerous.