Tuesday links

1. fred
    fred June 12, 2018 5:11 am

The dog park story.My girl was about 2 years old,a husky mix.A no nonsense young lady well able to take care of herself.A young GSD decided she was perfect for making puppies with.She had no interest in that! So she keeps whipping around as he keeps trying to get in puppy making position.

Finally on one turn she lunges in and grabs him by his lip and just slowly sits down,dragging him forward while giving him ‘THE LOOK’,which husky’s have perfected over millennia.His eyes were like saucers!! After about 30 seconds she let him go.

The folks at the park were roaring with laughter.

He was thru with any ideas of making puppies,but still followed her around…..keeping about 8 feet away.Tooooo funny!

LOL,she was in loooove with this BIG male wolf dog.She would have had his puppies had he offered.

Pat June 12, 2018 6:06 am

I’d bern thinking about Anthony Bourdain too, and have read the Amazon “first pages” from his book, [i]Medium Raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook[/i], pub. 2011.

I think he felt inadequate to his fame, and had guilt about it. The “signs” were there then (and probably much sooner). Paula Froelich nailed it with her Jun 8, 2018 “you’re nothing but a fraud” comment in the J. D. Roth article. Bourdain’s remarks sounded like he fell into the wrong profession and didn’t know how to get out. He was a lot smarter (or had more ambition) than being a chef would call for.

Does anyone know the music to the ghost town video? It is SO familiar, and it’s driving me crazy!

3. fred
    fred June 12, 2018 6:47 am

Anthony Bourdain was a strange fellow.I heard a radio program where it was said he could get a hamburger that wasnt up to his standards and it would put him into a deep depressive state for days.Bourdain himself saying that.
    Thats just not normal brain function IMO.

Comrade X June 12, 2018 8:13 am

““People fall for the lie that momentary pleasure equals happiness. But pleasure isn’t the same as happiness.”

5. ellendra
    ellendra June 12, 2018 10:49 am

“She’s right, of course. Happiness is like planting a garden, watching it grow, then enjoying the harvest. Pleasure is simply eating the fruit. Happiness is deeper and richer and longer lasting. Pleasure is fleeting; happiness is not. But happiness involves time and work and patience.”

My dad decided to help till my field this spring. I heard him talking to my mom afterwords. He said “She smiles and looks happier just driving the tractor than I’ve ever seen her before.”

This, after 35 years of hearing him say “why don’t you just BUY xyz? You don’t have to grow it!” If I had listened to him, I would be the world’s most miserable technician right now.

Sometimes, the things that bring you that deep, long-lasting kind of joy are the very things people around you will try to tear down. I wonder sometimes, if part of depression for some people is that the thing they are meant to be doing has been denigrated so much that they can’t even bring themselves to consider it anymore.

6. ellendra
    ellendra June 12, 2018 10:51 am

That ghost town looks exactly the way I imagined Hardyville would look.

7. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal June 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I want the ghost town. But I’d get rid of all the modern crap lying around– the utility poles, propane tanks, and cars gotta go!
    Once again, people would probably think I was “dressing the part” instead of just dressing weird.
    I seem to be almost a million dollars short, though…

8. Mike
    Mike June 12, 2018 2:01 pm

That ghost town looks really cool and after a few seconds of reading, ideas started to come forth about what I would do with a property like that. Renting it out for film shoots, gathering people of like mind and starting a gulch, turning it into a tourist trap for western reenactments… The list went on and on until along came a huge stumbling block, California, USA…

9. Why
    Why June 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Nice article on Latin mass.

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold June 13, 2018 9:02 am

Cerro Gordo looks like an interesting place, about halfway between Mt. Whitney and Death Valley.

But I agree with Mike. It’s less than 180 miles from Los(t) Angeles, and about 150 from Los Vegas.

Maybe after the state splits East and West, politically or seismically.

Dog parks? Really? And here I thought they were canine Safe Zones.