More good news: Cody Wilson wins

Cody Wilson — of Defense Distributed and 3D-printed gun fame — has won his multi-year battle with the federal government.

The fundamental question is whether making 3D models of gun components available online is covered by the free speech rights granted by the First Amendment.

This is a timely but complex conflict because it touches on two themes that happen to be, for many, ethically contradictory. Arguments for tighter restrictions on firearms are, in this case, directly opposed to arguments for the unfettered exchange of information on the internet. It’s hard to advocate for both here: restricting firearms and restricting free speech are one and the same.

That at least seems to be conclusion of the government lawyers, who settled Wilson’s lawsuit after years of court battles.

By all means, read the full Wired article linked from the shorter piece I quoted. It’s politically biased, but quite good in describing the coup Wilson and his lawyers pulled and some of the implications of the surprising settlement of his lawsuit.

This is grand in so many ways. For guns. For 3D printing in general. For DIY tech. For an abundant future. For free speech. For resistance to tyranny. For more than I can think of right now.

Today has been a good, good day for freedom.

1. Jorge
    Jorge July 10, 2018 5:12 pm

The politics in the Wired article…. But you know, they treated Wilson’s position with ideological respect. They hated it, but they did not misrepresent it. That say something.

And yeah. This is absolutely great. Not only for the US but for the rest of the world as well. Now anyone, anywhere, can produce firearms.

Ammo next.

Claire July 10, 2018 5:58 pm

“they treated Wilson’s position with ideological respect”

They did. Thanks for pointing that out. That’s sadly unusual these days, isn’t it?

And I agree — this is good for all the world, and not only for guns and free speech.

Comrade X July 11, 2018 8:13 am

And one day in the future the children will ask; Gun control, what was that?

4. Mike
    Mike July 11, 2018 3:30 pm

“Rights protected by” the First Amendment, not “Granted”

5. fred
    fred July 12, 2018 6:35 am

Thats very good news that our 2nd amendment RIGHTS are being fulfilled.

But clue me in,is this carved in aluminum,or can the ability to manufacture your own gun be legally taken away with the stroke of a governors pen?

The article,and a couple more linked to it are hilarious in their political arguments.I mean just funny out loud laughable some of the wired staffs comments.

Im off to eat my sausage for breakfast using my ‘lethal,deadly’ knife.Later I need to go into town in my ‘lethal,deadly’ car,though thankfully its traceable unlike my ‘lethal deadly’ steak knife,LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Excuse me now while I adapt to a world run by trumps ‘personal whims’ on our laws.Brahahahahahahahaa!

6. fred
    fred July 12, 2018 6:45 am

LOL! Im going to define everything today as ‘lethal,deadly’.

I had my ‘lethal,deadly’ breakfast,with ‘lethal,deadly’ coffee. Soon I will take my 2 ‘lethal,deadly’ ‘lethal,deadly’ dogs outside to the ‘lethal,deadly’ garden.

Next I will let out the retired ‘lethal,deadly’ chicken and we will trip around our ‘lethal,deadly’ yard.

LOL,I guess you get my ‘lethal,deadly’ point.

Ya’ll have a nice ‘lethal,deadly’ day…. ‘lethal,deadly’ fred out. 🙂

7. […] While is isn’t a complete victory. (Wilson’s company got a unique license) it will be hard for the government to go after anyone else, since they basically admitted there were First Amendment issues with their original position. (Hat tip to Claire Wolfe.) […]