1. david
    david August 10, 2018 8:08 am

That was interesting Claire. Thanks.

I’ll confess to having a soft spot in me for the movie, even though I think it’s a pretty lousy movie as such. However, there are ‘teaching moments’ in there for any resistance, so I tend to like it on that basis. Kinda like the thermite bomb attack in Out of the Grey Zone.

Comrade X August 10, 2018 9:14 am

I thought it was a the greatest movie ever!!! With the 2nd one being number two!

And it really did expose gun control and how it can be used against us;

3. James
    James August 10, 2018 11:33 am

I always found the movie pretty implausible. I mean, if I’m International Communism, how much sense does it make to send a mixed force of Russians and Central Americans to invade by paratroops and other conventional means? Why not just give it a few years and let the US military bleed itself while destroying the Middle East, get its command structure (and the whole country, really) all wound up with homomania and 150 nonsense genders and so on, and invade with just Central Americans, gradually, by trucks and buses and on foot?

Oh, wait, that’s kind of what’s happening, isn’t it? And with International Communism pretty much out of business, too. Strange days indeed.

It did seem funny to me to watch that movie in the 2004 – 2006 time frame, with all those “insurgents” planting IEDs to attack American military convoys of the occupation of Iraq. Made me wonder what “Wolverines!” sounds like, in Iraqi. (Probably something like “Allah is great!”) How many fans of the “Red Dawn” movie were also prominent cheerleaders for Our Heroes, occupying Iraq and Afghanistan? Irony abounds.

4. fred
    fred August 10, 2018 2:16 pm

I thought it was a stupid movie.As such,I liked it.Sometimes you need a dumb movie.B movies,pretty cool.

WOLVERINES!!

5. david
    david August 10, 2018 3:49 pm

International Communism isn’t out of business at all. It’s just working with corrupt dempols and leading from behind. Still using a pen and a phone too – pen to sign corrupt deals against netional security (like Uranium and the lack of defense for Crimea) and a phone (12 missing Blackberries all with national security apps) to do its dirty work. Also dealing with ‘enemies’ with a bus ticket and a bike lock, again ‘from behind’.

6. Mike
    Mike August 11, 2018 7:39 am

A badly acted, pure fiction B movie that had nothing to do with reality. Sadly if your fearless leader, Captain Bone Spurs, keeps pissing off your allies, America could find itself cut off and all alone in a big bad world…

Joel August 11, 2018 11:47 am

Hey, you just better hope Captain Bone Spurs doesn’t hear about that invasion of Canada back in 1812, or he might take time out from making a Space Force to try an reenactment – without skipping ahead in his War of 1812 picture book to see how the first one turned out, of course.

8. Shel
    Shel August 11, 2018 2:54 pm

One of the trivia items I definitely didn’t know, that is mentioned on the link posted in the blog, is Milius has always said the movie wasn’t about the Russians; it was about the Federal Government. I certainly thought the “Avenge me” scene was pretty hokey, but other parts weren’t necessarily so. One of the Cubans was depicted as a decent man in an undesirable situation. I thought the kids’ urinating in the radiator to get the vehicle going again was resourceful, and I found the partisan rock bit at the end to be moving. Using a single action revolver didn’t seem to me to be something likely to be as effective as shown in the movie. But the movie definitely made it’s point, as all the reviewers in the D.C. area panned it thoroughly, so much so that a good friend of mine, no flaming liberal, remarked with a chuckle about how stupid the movie was without ever having seen it.

9. James
    James August 11, 2018 4:20 pm

“One of the trivia items I definitely didn’t know, that is mentioned on the link posted in the blog, is Milius has always said the movie wasn’t about the Russians; it was about the Federal Government.”

Milius is, I think, pretty much a genius in the realm of commercial entertainment. If you ever get hold of the DVD disc of “Conan the Barbarian,” be sure to watch it with the director’s commentary going. It’s done jointly by Milius and Ah-nuld, and I swear Schwarzenegger’s drunk throughout the taping. Quite funny.

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold August 11, 2018 5:28 pm

I did notice that lots of folks who were most critical of Red Dawn were like, “Why would the Cubans bother with a little town like Calumet, Colorado?”

“Well, it does control a pass through the Rocky Mountains.”

“What has a pass got to do with anything?”

“Um. Mountain passes have been strategic terrain since humans organized armies. Particularly if you are air-assaulting a country with lots of armor and mechanized infantry divisions, mountains are where you want to fight.”

“Oh, that’s just soldier stuff. Meh. The people of Cuba don’t want to invade the U.S.”

“True. But the people of Cuba don’t get to decide who they invade.”