Rosie pix

Okay, so those pictures of foster dog Rosie the other day weren’t exactly true-to-life images.

Here are a couple photos of the real pup, taken by the rescue group’s foster-care coordinator, Christine, who is a talented photographer:

Rosie close up:

Rosie and friend:

Those oughta cheer you up. 🙂

I have no clue what breed mix she is. Got any ideas? Clearly she’s predominantly a hound of some sort — a scent hound judging by the way she keeps her nose to the ground when we leash-walk. (No off-leash walks for this girl; no telling where or how far she’d follow that ever-curious snout.) The closest I could find on a breed identification page was a blue-tick coonhound. But Rosie could be no more than a distant relative to that breed. She’s way too small for one thing, only about 35 pounds.

Something about her is very familiar. But I can’t place it. The white coloring, BTW, seems to be more natural coloring than a sign of old age. She’s not young, but she’s not old enough to have gotten all that white from aging.

1. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit September 15, 2018 8:32 am

Rosie looks to me like she might have a bit of Aussie Shepherd in her mix. Nice pics.

2. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson September 15, 2018 9:15 am

My Tess is a coon hound. Black, Tan, White. Velvet ears. Big long stout muzzle, always on the ground. 60 lbs of loving lap dog. Sleeps all day.
    I don’t see much of my Tess in your Rosie. But the ears are a little floppy, and then there’s that nose to the ground.
    Does she sleep all day? The only time my Tess gets up is when we go for a walk, and then she is a dawdler. I need to keep a firm grip on the leash because she goes completely deaf when she has found an interesting scent. Headstrong.
    Your Rosie seems to have the face shape and body size of a cattle dog. Maybe an Australian Healer? The ears don’t match, however.

Claire September 15, 2018 9:44 am

Hm. Two guesses involving herding breeds. That’s interesting.

Now, it’s possible that Rosie has some herding breed in her somewhere. In fact, she may be such a mix-up that she’s part short-haired Oceanic speckle-eared sport hound (even though there’s no such thing).

But her behaviors are hound-y. I love me my herding breeds, and I’m not seeing any of them in her.

And Ron Johnson, although she’s a (to me) odd mix of super-high energy and willingness to snooze on the bed for hours, I wouldn’t say she sleeps all day. But then, she’s new and probably more hyped-up than normal. Otherwise, she sounds very much like your Tess, especially the “going deaf when on a scent” bit. Also “going deaf for an hour after spotting my cat.”

Pat September 15, 2018 12:10 pm

I would say some kind of shepherd, also — maybe some English Shepherd (old American Farm Dog) or Border Collie in her, that would account for the energy. Personality may be hound, but looks could be a herder-type. Do her ears stay up, that looks German Shepherd.

Claire September 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Ears are floppy.

I keep trying to see any herd breed in her, but I continue to miss the signs you guys are seeing.

6. ~Qjay
    ~Qjay September 15, 2018 1:48 pm

That’s because you see the whole dog, we just see these couple of pictures.

Compare these two pictures with a mixed breed Aussie Shepherd in the same poses, and you’ll see the similarities.

It’s just color and a close up of her smiling face. Australian Shepherd is a relatively common breed, so many people know what they look like, and Rosie has some similar color.

7. Technomad
    Technomad September 15, 2018 5:34 pm

I was going to say that she looks rather Border Collie to me, but someone beat me to it.

Claire September 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I think ~Qjay’s hit it right. You’re seeing photos; I’m watching her in action. If I just looked at stills, I could probably see cattle dogs and border collies, too (especially if we’re talking mixes).

The photos are charming, but I’m not sure they completely look like her. But oh man, if you see her move — with her nose to the ground, her hound gait and lanky body, her floppy ears, and her hound-y head shape — you’d say hound, too.

Hound, I’m positive of. I have just have no idea what kind of hound.