Monday links

• Solar panels replaced paving on several roadways. For the environment and the climate and all, you know. Results were predictably underwhelming. Quite expensive, too.
  • Commander Zero, who knows whereof he speaks when it comes to preparedness, says Joel’s current experiment in living off an Augason Farms emergency food kit won’t end happily. I’m pretty sure Joel would have agreed from day one.
  • Speaking of which, Wired says that the science behind disaster preparedness kits is a disaster. They have suggestions some of us might not agree with (and might even laugh at), but the article’s interesting.
  • In the government-hates-competition department, the woman who led a team that rescued 27 dogs and cats from high water in Hurricane Florence may face criminal charges. (See the link to the petition defending her.)
  • Ecuador wanted to make Julian Assange a diplomat and send him to Moscow. The UK, which controls Assange as a U.S. proxy, nixed the idea.
  • David Codrea calls PayPal’s banning of InfoWars for vague, unspecified acts of “hate” economic cleansing. He’s right. The InfoWars folks may be purveyors of hysterical BS, but they’re only committing “hate” by the most extreme left standards. This is getting dangerous.
  • By those standards, “hate” is saying women don’t have penises. (I really want to believe this crap is the mania of a handful of over-privileged, over-educated, ivory-tower loons, but …)
  • A fourth supposed witness says the Kavanaugh-Ford assault never happened — and Charles Grassley nevertheless goes on collaborating with D-party delaying tactics.
  • Oh my lord. A congressional Kennedy — a Kennedy, mind you — gets all indignant about sexual assault and generally brutal treatment of women. But only when the allegations of brutality are against his political foes. Apparently crimes are all good when committed by his allies and family members.
  • How to Christine Blasey Ford-proof your son. (I don’t agree with it all, but a) I’m not a mother and b) ya gotta do something to build your boys into strong men in this mad world.)
  • John Deere just swindled farmers out of their right to repair their own equipment — aided by the California Farm Bureau.
  • Just some cute dog memes.
  • And the Menswear Dog, the most stylish pooch in the world.

Pat September 24, 2018 4:14 am

Re solar panels on roads, what are engineers being taught these days that they don’t know the technical aspects of solar energy? Why wasn’t this tested “in the lab” before money was spent on the roads?

Re raising boys, I didn’t raise my son to distrust women (or anyone else) — I raised him to evaluate the situation and the person involved, and to trust himself. Further, morality doesn’t come from the church, it comes from the parents and their ethical doctrine. Where kids “go wrong” often stems from the hypocrisy they see in either parents, church, or society as a whole.

2. mark leigh
    mark leigh September 24, 2018 6:24 am

Pat ditto on both and extra kudos for the hypocrisy observation.

3. Fred M.
    Fred M. September 24, 2018 7:55 am

RE: Disaster preparedness kits, the best website I have come across is with Joe Alton MD and Amy Alton ARNP, drbonespodcast@aol.com. (www.doomandbloom.net). Disaster preparedness relates not only food but also medical. This website has hundreds of articles and videos on proper medical and dental treatment, and they also have a number of kits available for sale. You will spend hours going through their site.
    RE: Raising boys. The one key trait that seems to be frequently missed in the upbringing of boys (and girls for that matter) is RESPECT. Respect for all people and living things. The age of permissiveness with “if it feels good…do it”, is misguided and has skewed the direction our culture should be taking. I find the new “Lawn Mower Parents” definition to be especially true for both boys and girls.

4. James
    James September 24, 2018 9:04 am

Re: Pat’s comment, I think the deployment of the solar roadways is easy to understand in terms of “government money.” The politricksters are always eager to plow your money and mine into anything that sounds vaguely green. So what if our little piece of solar roadway is stupid-expensive and doesn’t work? We got a grant to do it, and it keeps a bunch of people working for a little while. If you’re a government type, what’s not to like?

Also, regarding hypocrites in church: I don’t know so much about other churches, but mine isn’t full of hypocrites. We actually have room to spare for another, I don’t know, at least 25 more hypocrites. Maybe 50. Stop in and visit sometime! 🙂

5. James
    James September 24, 2018 9:14 am

One other thing about the solar roadway story: I guess this is just one of my peculiarities, but I wish the entire world would forget the term “tarmac” for a while. In modern times, it’s almost always used for asphalt, which isn’t the same thing. A closer approximation is “chip-and-seal,” which is used on a lot of small county roads around here. And, then, people stupidly use “tarmac” for any kind of pavement at an airport, even though a majority, I’d guess, of airport pavements are concrete.

Small stuff, I admit. Gets my teeth on edge, though.

6. ellendra
    ellendra September 24, 2018 10:48 am

Most of my family were die-hard John Deere fans, until they decided to make it too hard to do your own repairs. (Which they’ve been doing for a while now, this thing in California is just the latest step.)

When my first tractor ended up being a Simplicity, not one person in my family gave me grief. That would not have been the case 10 years earlier.

If they can make solar panels strong enough to hold up to traffic, why can’t they make rooftop solar panels that can hold up to hail?

Comrade X September 24, 2018 4:03 pm

No John Deere for me!

“This is getting dangerous.”

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 24, 2018 5:28 pm

I just watched a TV interview with the judge and his family, wherein he again denied the incident ever happened, noted he has sworn that in Congress laying himself open for felony charges if he’s caught in the slightest lie, and called for an open hearing of both sides.

He also completely refused to say anything about Ford or what anyone in Congress might be doing this for.

My boss is a hard-bitten long-time newspaper reporter/publisher with a law enforcement husband, who was undecided. After the interview she was convinced Judge Kavanaugh and his family were telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Claire September 25, 2018 6:07 am

“Grassley’s between a rock and a hard place. If he pushes Ford at all, he’s handing Feinstein unlimited bashing-rights for the next two elections, at least.”

Problem is, Feinstein and company will bash the R’s no matter what Grassley does or doesn’t do. One or two delays/compromises might have been a simple matter of fairness. But endless delays and compromises just reveals weakness — which the Dems gleefully take advantage of.

The Rs’ desperate desire to gain approval from their opponents is weird.

“It is better to be despised by the despicable than admired by the admirable” — Kurt Hofmann