Thursday links

I had a few more links to share, but I’m getting lots of timeouts as I try to compile and check them — something that seems to happen a lot with my links posts. Sigh. So I think I’ll call it quits for now.

1. redscare
    redscare September 27, 2018 7:16 am

Agree that schools are dangerous, but that article only lists 2 issues (pushing transgender acceptance and not pushing Christianity) and I don’t agree that those are actual issues. I want my kids to be tolerant of confused or different kids, and I don’t want a specific religion foisted on them. There are problems with no longer encouraging critical thinking, pushing standardized tests over learning, pushing deference to government, etc, but none of those are covered in the linked article.

Claire September 27, 2018 7:33 am

The greatest value of that article lies in its links and its information that a large majority of parents have turned against government schooling even though they aren’t yet acting on their discontent.

3. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 September 27, 2018 9:07 am

Poor man’s habits? I was never poor, but many items on that list were in my repertoire–which might be why I was never poor. 🙂

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 27, 2018 11:28 am

The sound of me going inside to fly from behind the screen door…
    Ya think?

Liberals are no fun anymore.
    I feel sorry for them. It’s way past “The glass is half-empty.” It’s “Our glass is so bone dry we have to pi## in it.”

Woke before the alarm went off this morning, and had a thought:
    Conservatives are liberals who have been mugged.
    Liberals are conservatives who have been arrested.
    What has Congress taught Brett Kavanaugh the past couple of weeks?

Joel September 27, 2018 12:47 pm

What has Congress taught Brett Kavanaugh the past couple of weeks?

I dunno, but if he gets voted down I pity the next fool who has to argue a “progressive” case in his appeals court.

6. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred September 27, 2018 5:28 pm

I do a few cheap guy things:

Debt is a killer. I agree, no stupid credit cards.
    Claire, I was thinking of you when I just moved to Tracfone. After 3 phone calls and a 36 hour wait to get cut-over I remembered an item here where you had mentioned similar issues. But, the price is great and the signal is good enough.
    “No Money Mondays” (TM). I spend no money on Monday. You would be surprised how much this saves and it also inspires me to often go ahead and not spend on Tuesday as well. Just one day week can save big. I like the no spending for one week every month idea. I might try it, starting on Monday of course.
    I don’t use AC. Grew up without it and never understood why people want to be cold all winter AND all summer.
    Cook. Eating out is an outrageous waste of money. Most of the food is slop off the back of a semi anyway. Simple, fresh, home made, healthy, is good and much cheaper. I was trying to learn to cook new things a while back. Maybe I’ll try something new this weekend.
    On to smaller things, I use Baking Soda to brush with. A one pound box can be had for a dollar on sale. Not only is it way cheaper than toothpaste but cleans your teeth better and doesn’t have poison chemicals in it.

As to the Mini-14, never had one. Everybody, EVERYBODY, needs an (or more) 5.56 platform that eats everything you feed it and goes bang: Every. Single. Time.

7. david
    david September 27, 2018 6:18 pm

“Taiwan does not have an extradition treaty with the US due to the “one China” policy. Taiwanese officials still took Wilson into custody and deported him back to Texas where he was turned over to law enforcement officials and subsequently arrested on the charges.”

In spite of no extradition treaty! It sounds to me like free plans for ghost guns scares the Chinese government as much as it scares ours!

Comrade X September 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Commander zero is very right, when SHTF times comes you better have spare parts or at least something that is so prevalent the spares parts can be easily found.

I’ve own a number of mini 14 & also 10/22 by Ruger but I have recently run into a few mini 14’s that had feed problems. One thing I found when shooting prone with a mini if you are using your mag as an one legged shooting support that can cause miss-feed (I have not found that to be true of my AR’s), I contributed that to the sloppiness of the mag fit and tolerances of that fit.