Yeah, sometimes you need to v*te

As Joel says, sometimes you need to v*te.

Of course I know all the principled and practical arguments against v*ting. I’ve made many of those arguments myself. I admire Wendy McElroy, who famously wrote that she would not even have v*ted against Hitler.

I don’t knock anybody who chooses to v*te — or who chooses not to. I’ve been on both sides and see both points of view.

I was born to a v*te-worshipping mother, raised to politics, and gave it all up mostly out of futility after the one “victory” I took part in turned out to be the worst sort of failure, a total betrayal.

But in the last couple of years, I admit I’ve once again resorted to v*ting — this time solely as a self-defense measure.

I never v*te for anything; it’s as much an exercise in futility as I learned after the Great Betrayal of 1994. Freedom never comes from supporting government and governors. Governing systems are inherently tyrannical and are designed to get bigger and nastier over time. Putting energy into them is diverting energy from real freedom efforts.

But damn, sometimes …

I-1639: Major Anti-Gun Horror.

This year, in Washington state, there’s an initiative on the ballot that’s the very devil itself. I-1639 is such a lie, such a horror for gun rights, safety, and liberty in general that it’s hard to describe its badness accurately.

This is an initiative, almost entirely funded by billionaires, that would, among many other Very Bad Things:

• Criminalize defense of home and family by forcing all firearms to be locked away, unavailable for rapid use;
  • Deny people between 18 and 21 all gun rights;
  • Insanely, absurdly reclassify even such classic firearms as the Ruger 10/22 — often a child’s first firearm — as “assault rifles.”

… and about a dozen other outrages. Even the way this mess got on the ballot was crazy and corrupt. Its billionaire backers could pay hugely for signatures ($5-$9 apiece). But they couldn’t pay for competence. The initiative was printed on the petitions in ways that violated state law (print too small to read; no use of strikeouts and underlines to indicate changes to existing law). In the end, only a biased, excuse-making state supreme court allowed this total botch to go to a v*te.

If Seattle rules — as it so often does — Washington will have probably the worst gun law in the country. And this in a state that until a few years ago managed to balance blue with gun-friendliness.

If you want to see all the memes on this, Joe Huffman has been posting one nearly every day. Here’s the latest and another. He’s got a lot. Just go to his blog and scroll.

Carbon Emissions? Ha! Just Another Environmental Scam.

Also on the ballot is a lesser horror called I-1631. This is Washington’s second attempt to impose a state level carbon tax.

It’s got an odd backstory. Not long ago, there was a “good” carbon tax initiative, I-732, on the ballot. No, you and I wouldn’t think it was good. But it was revenue neutral and actually dealt with the question of pollutants. Surprisingly, it was defeated by the very people you’d think would support such a thing — The Nature Conservancy, The Sierra Club, and the other usual environmental suspects.

Now, with I-1631, those same groups have come back with an initiative of their own. It has no plan at all to deal with carbon emissions. Any “plan” would be decided by an unelected board. But while raising the cost of living by $440 in its first year (with no limit in the long run) it would funnel a great deal of money into the pockets of its sponsors and supporters.

So naturally, they’re claiming it’s vital for ending pollution and only Big Oil opposes it. (Big Oil, they say, would cover all the cost; they seem unacquainted with the concept of corporations invariably passing costs on to customers — in this case clobbering low-income people where it hurts most, in fuel costs and all the daily necessities like food that are affected by fuel costs.)

You can read about it here from Cliff Mass, the area’s most respected meteorologist (and no biased right-winger).

—–

If you’re a registered voter in Washington state, you already have your ballot by now. I hold my nose and hold my breath and say: “Use it.” Although online registration is closed, you can still register in person until Monday, October 29.

I also thank our own faithful Commentariat member Comrade X, who has been one of the main public voices against the victim-disarming horror of I-1639. Today he’ll be debating the chief spokesthing of the gun banners.

There’s hope that both initiatives will fail. Comrade X reports that the yes on I-1639 crowd often doesn’t even send a representative to speak for it in debates, and that he’s seeing anti-I-1639 lawn signs at the homes of people who have no other political signs — indicating apolitical gun owners rising to the occasion. The pro-disarmament campaign is so badly managed that they even lost control of what should have been their own natural domain names — which as you see from the above links belong to the pro-freedom side.

It’s all about whether Seattle turns out more v*ters than the Washington hinterlands.

OTOH, even some liberals are waking up to the fact that the I-1631 carbon tax initiative is basically a money-making scam being pulled in the name of protecting the environment.

So we shall see.

But yeah … I’m sorry Wendy. I agree with you in theory. And I know it’s a delusion to imagine we can v*te our way to freedom.

But sometimes a v*te is as necessary as any other self-defense weapon.

1. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal October 24, 2018 9:46 am

When you v*te against a person, the only way to do that in reality is by v*ting FOR someone else. You can v*te against new “laws” without v*ting for a different “law”. That’s the difference I see.

Claire October 24, 2018 10:06 am

True, generally. I’d go with what you said.

But in races with candidates, you could also write in a name of someone who is real but has no chance of winning. It may be an ineffective protest, but at least you aren’t helping some lesser evil win.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Except that the ineffective vote doesn’t work to keep the evil candidate from winning, the way a vote against a proposition helps keep the bad legislation from passing. A lot of people gritting teeth and pulling the lever for Donald is what kept Hillary away from SCOTUS and the Football.

I early-voted yesterday, mainly for local candidates. Texas doesn’t have referenda, but we have a local school bond to vote on; $89+ million mainly for enhanced security across a dozen campuses. They’re planning on adding vestibule entrances, door locks, video, etc. and replacing the junior high school, built as the high school in the 1960s. It needs lots of repairs and updates, and “requires” lots of ADA stuff, and it’s hopeless from any kind of security perspective.

School security is a lot harder to vote against. Texas is pushing hard on the subject, but concentrating on physical security and armed faculty and LEOs, rather than gun control. I hope.

Our legislature meets next spring, and it will be a very “interesting” 140-day session. I remember when voting was a privilege; now it’s a chore.

I’ll keep fingers crossed for Washington.

Claire October 24, 2018 1:35 pm

“Except that the ineffective vote doesn’t work to keep the evil candidate from winning”

You’re assuming that at least one candidate isn’t evil. All the candidates want to steal your money and use it to tell you what you can and can’t do with your life. So non-evil isn’t a safe assumption.

And that’s even before considering which candidate is telling the biggest lies about how much he or she will defend your rights, decrease the burden of government, etc.

5. Myself
    Myself October 24, 2018 1:59 pm

The other option, is to vote for a split government.

Comrade X October 24, 2018 6:38 pm

This is what I am all about; I truly believe in the 4 boxes of freedom, the soapbox, the ballot box and the jury box, with those first three we need to use them till they are completely depleted because the 4th box I don’t really want to open it but if I am forced to do that I will used it till it is depleted unless I have expired beforehand.

I’ve already voted and those in Washington state please vote and when you do; vote against the forces of tyranny in which we face.

When your grand kids one day ask you where you were in the fight against tyranny hopefully you will be able to say you stood against it, as I intend to now or into the future.

7. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred October 24, 2018 6:42 pm

I have recently taken to writing in; No Confidence.

I don’t think I’ll be voting this election. None of the candidates have even a passing interest in freedom.

Ballot measures are a very good reason to vote, Claire.

8. jed
    jed October 24, 2018 7:09 pm

I’ll be practicing defensive voting myself here soon. I hope to get to looking at the ballot Sunday. Here in CO, there’s far too much left-wing activism going on. I’m looking at the guv’s race as a bellwether for the future of the state.

So, did Comrade X get on the teevee? Is it on the YouTube?

Comrade X October 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Jed, not today but since I have no shame and it is getting close to Halloween here I’s be for your viewing enjoyment from last week, go to 1:20 if you ain’t afraid of being spooked;

10. jed
    jed October 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Aiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee! 🙂

Hey, good job there. Of course, they couldn’t let you have any applause.

11. R.R. Schoettker
    R.R. Schoettker October 25, 2018 6:38 am

I fully support your “self-defense” mode of voting. I have commented on this elsewhere but the “forfeit your freedom and property to the activist minority by passive and quiet abstention” is just a form of suicidal submission. Just say NO; whenever and where ever possible!

12. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 25, 2018 8:52 am

The sheep who votes against the two wolves arguably had better options, like going elsewhere before dinner. Or learning to shoot.

I’m too cynical nowadays to think that people who put their hand on a Bible and lie about “preserving, protecting, and defending” something they fully intend to gang-rape REALLY care about what 49% might say, or even whether their pleas get counted.

Claire October 25, 2018 2:33 pm

“If you vote “no” against a mob of criminals who intend to first disarm, then kill you, are you appeasing them, or enabling them, or just acquiescing to their desire to feel legitimate?”

Trying to stop them from getting away with it. Attempting to de-escalate a potentially deadly confrontation.

“Better to just be honest about any such “initiative” up front. IMHO. It’s “initiation” of force.”

Sure. It’s either an initiation of force or an attempt to delegate someone else to initiate force, that’s true. But call it what you will, we can’t shoot the bastards as we would a freelance criminal who attacked us, our property, or our rights.

And at the current stage of things, we’d lose by responding with violence. I hope we can stop them so no later, more overtly violent, stage ever arrives.

14. Uncle Milton
    Uncle Milton October 25, 2018 3:16 pm

I still lament that you didn’t make it to Macomb County, Michigan way back when, The way the votes get counted is what bugs me. The time looooooooooooms.

15. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 26, 2018 5:41 am

“But call it what you will, we can’t shoot the bastards as we would a freelance criminal who attacked us, our property, or our rights.”

But why trust them to count votes? Or is that just a pointless exercise to avoid facing the truth?

16. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 26, 2018 6:19 am

I’m curious. Leaving aside the generally false “R vs D” dichotomy (two wings, same evil bird of prey) — does anyone here really believe that the Big Question to be determined during the next “most important V*TE ever” isn’t just:

Will the BACKLASH against the totalitarian ‘blue wave’ be big ENOUGH to overcome the fix that’s already in?

PS> Time for an admission. Some here won’t understand, but it goes to the heart of what I believe once made the difference in this land.

I don’t trust “fallen man”. (Which was once the point of binding the bastards with those “chains of the Constitution”.)

So I put far more effort into prayer than ‘v*ting’.

(At the very least, it’s just a different placebo effect. But isn’t a v*te to what sure looks like “some other god” ultimately just a wasted prayer anyway? Talk about a “lesser evil”…)

And I’ve observed first-hand that what I write and talk about, when it comes to “NOT v*ting”, or “come out of her,” and the like, matters far more than some lever I might pull that I can’t prove is ever counted anyway.

Here’s the real issue, I contend, Claire. Once even the pretense of the “Rule of Law” is gone (and we can sure smell it from here), ALL the bastards are freelance criminals, some just better armed. And none of us have a ‘threshold’ any more for them to cross. It was that realization that drove my personal study, and why I try to “walk in obedience” to YHVH.

(Either there IS a “higher power,” or there’s not, in which case there still is. But that Bigger Brother is building a hell on earth.)

I’m still armed, and know how to use them. I’m thankful to have neighbors who do, too. But I ALWAYS, ultimately, count on His protection.

Claire October 26, 2018 7:05 am

“In which case, the point of the Second Amendment is already lost. Might as well hand ’em over, as countless peoples before have decided.”

Nonsense. There are many ways of resisting tyranny. I’ve been writing about them for 22 years and others have written about them even longer. Having firearms present and available remains vital. But anyone who believes all freedom lovers should just whup out our guns right now and start shooting at Michael Bloomberg, George Soros, or their useful idiot minions this minute is asking for us to be hated and defeated.

So you turn to your extremely quirky interpretation of scripture and the will of an ancient god. If that makes you feel better, great. But it doesn’t get us one whit closer to personal or political freedom than the occasional defensive v*te does.

Comrade X October 26, 2018 7:44 am

One thing for sure one can learn in standing to fight instead of running & hiding (for whatever reason you choose), you find others that will stand too, something that may be useful down the road later, don’t ya know?

19. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 26, 2018 4:09 pm

“Nonsense. There are many ways of resisting tyranny… But anyone who believes all freedom lovers should just whup out our guns right now and start shooting at Michael Bloomberg, George Soros, or their useful idiot minions this minute is asking for us to be hated and defeated.”

Never said anything of the sort.

And because I HAVE read what you’ve written before, I won’t offend your intelligence by suggesting you don’t understand that ‘a priori’ rejection of the deterrence value of defensive arms, even against ‘the bastards’, is foolhardy.

As for the line I won’t dignify by quoting: wow, petty AND petulant.

Arguably blind to quite a bit of history, too.

But it does clarify your ‘extremely quirky’ affectation of not wanting to spell the word “vote”.

Evidently the realization that an “occasional defensive” you-know-what really IS nothing more than a prayer to an equally ancient ‘god’ — the Almighty State –hits too close to home.

So if it makes you feel better to deny that religion, great.

But I’ll be the judge of what moves ME closer to real freedom, thank you very much!

Comrade X October 27, 2018 9:00 am

Mark Call, I have just one question, can someone have a different opinion from you, is that acceptable to you?

Does freedom to you mean that since you think or even believe you are right there should be no free thought other than yours?

21. DannyNicolas
    DannyNicolas October 29, 2018 2:32 pm

I dropped off my WA ballot today, voting against all measures in WA, and wrote in ‘None of the above’ for all the items on the ballot where there was only 1 person named on the ballot. While it warms my heart to see all the No on 1639 signs around town, I remain skeptical that the people counting the ballots won’t be tipping the scales in favor of getting the first step to their semi-auto ban passed.

Comrade X October 30, 2018 8:00 am