Wouldn’t it be nice?

Furrydoc and I had lunch together yesterday. We talked politics as we so often do.

And we found ourselves in the same state — a not-so-unusual state, these days. We wished news would simply go away. We’re both taking steps to avoid it. The world seems to have gone completely mad. Hate pretends to represent love. Rage replaces thought. Ignorance supplants knowledge.

Yet try though we might, both of us find ourselves steeped in the noise of news as if we breathe it in with the very air.

Then she told me she talked to her clinic staff about some current events a few days ago. Not one of them had heard about the recent not-a-bomb mailings. Not one knew of the massacre at the Tree of Life. The migrant caravan marching up through Mexico? Total surprise to them.

These aren’t stupid people. They must just breathe different air.

Furrydoc and I went one-by-one through all the issues and offices on the midterm ballot, then discussed the latest blart of bigotry from CNN, then moved on to the potential for a multi-market crash in the next few years. And in the end we speculated about how nice it would be not to know any of it, not to have to think of it at all, let alone contemplate what it portends for the future.

1. david
    david November 2, 2018 11:16 am

Not to know what is going on,
    Just go through life with a happy song,
    No Dems, no leftist fools,
    Ow, wou-ldn’t it be lov-e-ly!

Pat November 2, 2018 1:00 pm

To know or not to know?

And look what happened to Hamlet…

Comrade X November 2, 2018 2:03 pm

Methinks the media has lost their collective minds and they are doing everything in their power to get us to join them.

4. patrick fowler
    patrick fowler November 2, 2018 2:25 pm

Hi Claire and Doc , a long time ago I lived on an old wooden sailboat , I had no bills , no car , no dependants , no worries . I worked maybe 30 hrs. a week in a boatyard , plenty of money for food smokes and drink. when others would talk politics I would just politely listen but offer no opinions of my own . Most folks were amazed how ” out of touch ” I was , most of them didn’t notice I was more content with my simple life than they were with all their tv , newspaper , radio influences . This was late 70’s no internet yet…makes me wonder…Patrick

5. chad
    chad November 2, 2018 4:11 pm

If I may…
    Memes replace thought. Youtube videos supplant knowledge.

Claire November 2, 2018 5:44 pm

Patrick — I love that. Damn. That’s the antithesis of what my life has been; wonder if I could do a 180? Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Commander Zero
    Commander Zero November 2, 2018 6:39 pm

You remeber what Ayn Rand said, right? Something about how ‘you can ignore reality, but you cant ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.’

8. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal November 2, 2018 8:12 pm

Claire, there just seems to be a certain type of person (I am one and it sounds like you’re one, too) who is aware of things even if we avoid “news”. I never watch “news”. I don’t read “news”. But when I’m inadvertently exposed to it while going about my day I am aware of it and it makes an impression. I used to watch/read the news every day (decades ago) and was amazed that so few people knew anything that was going on (the Challenger explosion was one notable event that no one I worked with had heard about when it happened). Back then I couldn’t believe people could be so oblivious to the “Important Events of The Day”. Now I envy them, and even though I never seek “news”, I’m still more aware of it than most people I know. And it doesn’t make me happy.

9. patrick fowler
    patrick fowler November 2, 2018 8:54 pm

Hi Claire , Don’t do tv , radio , I can’t with my deafness , newspapers don’t have anything to offer anymore , I just do internet and the 180 is happening naturally…might try a country lifestyle this time …go to town once a week , plant an orchard , grow orchids and roses , oil paintings , stuff like that. Patrick

10. maDDtraPPer
    maDDtraPPer November 2, 2018 11:54 pm

Has the world really gone mad? I ask myself this question a lot lately. The second half of my question is “or have I really just started looking at it a different way?” I mean when I think about it the world wasn’t that normal 20 years ago, same wars different places, different names, faces but same politics. Certainly seems like that in some ways. Regardless the system will correct itself one way or another without my involvement or interest, however difficult it seems to disconnect from emotional involvement in it. I’ll try and focus my energy on my family being prepared for it.

11. Shel
    Shel November 3, 2018 1:39 pm

Yesterday I was talking to a woman who seemed a decent, intelligent person and who identified herself as an independent. She asked me if I was a Trump supporter. I said at least he’s trying to what he said he would do, which is unusual. She replied that Trump uses the same hand gestures as Hitler. I’m still trying to come to grips with the shallowness of that analogy.

12. Mike
    Mike November 3, 2018 1:56 pm

I believe that the attitude by Furry Doc’s staff is more common than one would think. I’ve run into it while talking to friends more often than I want to think about. While I try not to become overwhelmed, I do keep track of what’s going on. From experience, I’ve seen the truth to the adage: “Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.” I, for one, do not like things to come out of left field, so I stay informed.