A national &^%$#@!ing day of mourning???

Maybe you knew all about this, since Trump issued the proclamation last Saturday. But none of my newsfeeds informed me.

Only when I stopped at the post office a few minutes ago did I get the memo. They’re going to be closed tomorrow (in the midst of the Christmas mailing crunch) and they ask us all to join them in a day of mourning for Bush the First.

Yeah, I’ll just bet those employees who get a surprise day off with pay will spend all day keening in grief and wearing sackcloth and ashes. Suuuure they will.

Looks like this is going to affect all of the fedgov, some banks, and the big stock exchanges.

What is this, anyhow? A national day of mourning for a 94-year-old who managed a one-term presidency 30 years ago??? Are you kidding me? Oh sure, he was also a war hero, and by all accounts a brave and decent man. But if they’re closing down the fedgov for those, it would be a permanent shut-down. (Hey, now there’s an idea …)

Nope, it’s all for that notably unsuccessful one-term presidency in which we all read GHW Bush’s lips and discovered he was lying. It’s all because our living president, in his hopes for glory, wants some future commander-in-chief to do the same thing for him.

Don’t count on it, Donald.

On the other hand, we do behave more slavishly to those glorified ward bosses with every passing year.

What are we going to do next? Start embalming the body of every minor ‘crat and putting them on permanent display with entire teams of scientists to keep them from moldering?

Preserve their organs in jars, wrap their empty hulks in chemically saturated linen and build giant pyramids over them?

Decree them (and their family) to be gods?

This is preposterous. This isn’t how free people regard politicians. Okay, maybe a Lincoln (freedom destroyer though he was) or a Washington. But George Herbert Walker Bush, professional nonentity, aggressive war-maker, DEA worshipper, gun-banner, and most famously one of the few politicians ever booted out of office for doing the most common thing politicians do — making phony promises???

What a graphic demonstration of how far we’ve fallen.

Comrade X December 4, 2018 11:11 am

Just think when O goes they might get a month off!

Tell your kids to get a fed government job; great benefits, can’t hardly be fired and plenty of paid time off.

Joel December 4, 2018 12:34 pm

George Bush, the God of Central Government Bureaucrats. Kinda has a ring to it.

I wonder what the worship rites would be? I can picture DMV drones wearing clerical robes while sleeping behind their counters.

3. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal December 4, 2018 2:10 pm

I never mourn the death of a bully or a thief.

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 4, 2018 7:03 pm

As long as they don’t start cloning them.

My daughter works at Texas A&M. They’ll be in full circus mode until Thursday night.

5. Deb
    Deb December 5, 2018 4:44 am

They have done this for a long time. It’s just been many years since a former president passed. I think Reagan was the last one. I don’t think it’s necessary. But it’s not new.

6. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred December 5, 2018 6:50 am

Deb beat me to it. A day of mourning for dead presidents is the norm. The mail is being delivered ’round these parts. Is that triple time we’re paying them for?

7. James
    James December 5, 2018 9:03 am

Well, I for one am observing this important day appropriately. Every time I drive past a flag at half-staff, I break into a little chorus of “Ding-dong, the witch is dead.” It’s very cheering. I guess I’m a self-consoling shrub mourner.

8. Sean Tyler
    Sean Tyler December 5, 2018 9:10 am

Drunk?
    Stupid?
    Oh, I get it, you’re Drunk AND Stupid.

Honey, you’re an even bigger joke than the Orange Foolius. Have a good life grifting the even stupider.

Claire December 5, 2018 9:22 am

Note to readers: I don’t usually allow personal insults in comments. But the one above amused me. Since I’m the one being insulted, I guess I’m entitled to choose to make it public.

And after all, he called me honey. So he must love me. 😉

10. James
    James December 5, 2018 9:34 am

Personally insulting comment directed toward “Sean” deleted, in view of the proprietress’s gracious response above.

11. Jim B.
    Jim B. December 5, 2018 9:52 am

Have you guys ever read one of the books by Jesse Ventura?

Joel December 5, 2018 11:04 am

Sean, isn’t it normally considered appropriate to give us a clue as to what you find objectionable about a post before cutting to the personal insults?

Oh wait. This is the Internet, where pissing all over somebody else’s blog for no discernible reason is considered a mark of intelligence and class. Never mind, carry on.

Comrade X December 5, 2018 1:03 pm

Claire the reason I come here often is because the Sean’s of this world aren’t here and thank you for once again reminding me of that.

14. Steve
    Steve December 5, 2018 3:13 pm

Had to test some equipment at a VA hospital today, and everyone was in. Staff told me that management had tried to get some people not to come in, but they had 1300+ appointments in the facility to handle, so at least everyone was there.

Claire December 5, 2018 4:22 pm

Thank you all for the gentlemanly comments. I was away most of the day and was worried that a flame war might erupt in my absence. Bear Bussjaeger, who has admin powers here, kindly monitored the action (and put our friend Sean on the watchlist so any further comments from him will go into moderation). But I should have known you guys would play it cool.

And Steve, that’s good to hear. There are so many bad things to say about the VA, but that sounds like a conscientious bunch. How weird that management tried to get people not to come in.

Jim B. — Never read anything by Ventura. What’s his take on the current action?

16. Jim B.
    Jim B. December 5, 2018 7:30 pm

A while ago I’ve read one of his books, “They Killed Our President” on the “conspiracy” to kill JFK. Turns out that, yes, there was a conspiracy(a plan by two or more person/s to carry something out). Why this is relevant now is that there is a part in the book about certain oilmen found in a meeting.

The book does seem very well researched and there were too many “coincidences”(death of others) in relations to JFK.

I’ve written about the book in the TMM forums.

I also highly recommended the book by Jesse Ventura.

17. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 December 5, 2018 8:35 pm

A Texas pol’s view of Bush 1, back in the ’88 campaign: “He’s anybody’s dog that’ll hunt with him.”

18. Deb
    Deb December 5, 2018 10:44 pm

Jim B- I’ve read a couple of Jesse’s books. I read “Don’t Start the Revolution Without Me”. He came across as interesting and articulate. I can’t recall the name of the second book, but he lost me with that one. By the end of the second book he was just too far out there for my taste. And yes I know, just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you. But it felt contrived and over the top.

19. Jim B.
    Jim B. December 6, 2018 4:28 am

Deb-

I’ve only read the “They killed our President”, it never felt “over the top” or contrived. I can’t say anything about his other books.

If you can’t recall the name, can you at least say what the book was about?