Good news for Ava

This picture is almost seven years old. Ava’s a whole lot whiter around the muzzle now. But she’s been so puppylike lately, and today’s news was so hopeful, I thought it worked.

Furrydoc got the kidney-function test results back ahead of schedule.

I mentioned already that while the initial blood panel indicated 20-35% function remaining, a urine test (with no protein leaking into Ava’s pee, nearly normal specific gravity, and no sign of chronic infection) looked more hopeful. And so it was.

This more sophisticated and specific test says Ava’s still got maybe 70-75% kidney function, putting her in stage one of four-stage CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease).

Why such a discrepancy in the results? I was so glad of today’s news, I didn’t even ask. I will later.

So for now:

• Ava can remain on a good quality senior food, rather than a pricey prescription diet.
  • No more salty snacks for her (bacon, ham, cheese, and sharing my snack crackers are all out).
  • No aspirin or any other drugs that might affect kidney function (but she wasn’t on any, anyhow).
  • Never restrict her access to water, even if she starts peeing in the house or needing to go out at night (which I wouldn’t do, anyhow).
  • We’ll monitor her blood, urine, and blood pressure in three months, and depending on the results, we’ll either continue three-month monitoring or go to six months. She may, but also may not, have to go on blood-pressure meds after the three-month check.

She will die of kidney failure if something else doesn’t kill her first. But with luck, monitoring, and care we may have a good long time ahead of us.

Boy, did that news brighten a rainy, cold, gray, and otherwise thoroughly miserable afternoon. Thanks for the prayers, good vibes, and good cheer you sent her way (and thanks again, RW, for financing this much more hopeful test).

I think this calls for a song:

1. Mike
    Mike January 8, 2019 6:45 pm

Good news indeed. Hopefully, it will be a long, long while before things come to a head.

Joel January 8, 2019 6:54 pm

Excellent news!

Though that “no sharing the crackers” thing wouldn’t fly around here, I’m afraid…

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 8, 2019 6:57 pm

Now I’m going to be singing “Frère Jacques” for a while.

Good selection, to go along with your good news.

4. david
    david January 8, 2019 7:06 pm

Good news Ava & Claire. May you have many more happy years together.

5. khperkins
    khperkins January 9, 2019 3:03 am

That’s good news.

6. Ruth
    Ruth January 9, 2019 8:28 am

Woot!

The quickie in house tests are often not as accurate as the full blown bloodwork. The quickie tests are great for a quick turn around, but I ALWAYS ask for additional lab tests if the quickie says something is off. Only ever had one incident where the quickie was outright wrong (but even then it was only kinda wrong), but the full blown bloodwork gives much better detail.

7. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry January 9, 2019 8:51 am

Hura Avičku!
    That is good news, I’m very happy for you both. I miss having a dog, and I love your stories of yours.

8. MP
    MP January 9, 2019 9:54 am

What a great, pleasant surprise, Claire! Your feelings of relief must be profound, and therefore something that Ava probably senses and shares in as well.

Claire January 9, 2019 10:27 am

Thank you, all, for rooting for Ava and me and for liking the dog stories as much as the more hardcore material.

Ruth, you’re no doubt right about those test results. Furrydoc also notes that results can vary from day to day.

And Joel — LOL, I expect that being denied Cheez-Its isn’t going to go to well with Ava, either. Hopefully, she’ll be a little less persistent than Laddie in expressing her displeasure at my failure to meet expectations.

10. RW
    RW January 9, 2019 11:15 am

Celebrating with you.

Comrade X January 9, 2019 11:26 am

Best news I’ve heard all week!

Claire January 9, 2019 12:20 pm

Thanks, RW and Comrade. Yep, best news I’ve had all week, too. And that’s in a week that’s been pretty darned good, overall.

13. James
    James January 9, 2019 12:42 pm

A possible way to ease Ava from sharing your salty snacks: share something else with her. I make a “healthy” (i.e., infested with fiber) blueberry-bran-flaxseed muffin that I keep in the freezer, and then get one out each night to thaw before I go to bed. In the morning, off with the paper baking cup, into the microwave for 20 seconds, and it’s just as if they’d just been baked. And our (insane) old male cat jumps up on my lap, and I pull pinches off the top of the muffin, and he eats them out of my cupped palm. I’m happy to send the recipe if you wish. It’s quite easy.

14. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit January 9, 2019 4:25 pm

Wonderful news! Happy dance for you and Ava!

Claire January 9, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks, coloradohermit and James. Yep, much happy dancing.

And James, don’t worry. Ava has LOTS of alternatives to noshing on my salty crackers — everything from her own grain-free salmon treats to licking bowls of non-salty human food. Your muffins sound delicious and I love the idea of healthy food that comes right out of the freezer and into the microwave. But I suspect if I had muffins around I’d overindulge on them (and Ava might, too.)