Feeling feeble

I apologize for the lack of blogging. I came down sick Friday night and despite attacking this pestilence with everything in the self-care arsenal, I’m absolutely flattened.

Ava got only one short walk yesterday and is getting none today, which is nearly unheard of. I can’t sleep at night and can’t stay awake during the day. Everything aches. I haven’t got a shred of an appetite and never even finished my morning tea.

I think this is just what my mother would have called a chest cold (aka bronchitis), but the cough is the least of it. My lack of oomph is overwhelming. if I’m not significantly better by tomorrow I may ask Neighbor J to check in a couple times a day. Heaven forfend, I may even think about thinking about going to a doctor.

I’ll keep you posted, but if you’re expecting any brilliance in the next few days, I’m afraid you’ll have to supply it yourself.

1. maDDtraPPer
    maDDtraPPer January 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Take care of yourself and get well soon Claire.

2. jed
    jed January 13, 2019 1:51 pm

Hope you recover quickly, Claire.

Comrade X January 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Take care!

Tiger balm all over & drink that tea!!!

4. ~Qjay
    ~Qjay January 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Hot Toddy Time!
    Get a few and you will sleep or just not care that you’re sick.

5. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit January 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Sending good thoughts and positive energy for a quick recovery. Stay hydrated and rest a lot.

6. david
    david January 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Baron von Munchausen would warn you strongly against a doctor. 99% of people who die do it under a doctor’s ‘care’. (I invented that stat. LOL)

But get well soon!

7. free.and.true
    free.and.true January 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Hope you feel better very soon, Claire.

Joel January 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Take care of yourself, Claire. Hope you feel better soon.

9. John Wilder
    John Wilder January 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Get well. We’ve been chasing it around the house here, too. The Mrs. is still fighting it after a week.

10. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry January 14, 2019 12:15 am

Hope you’re feeling better soon. Hot ginger-and-orange tea with plenty of rum and half a lemon seems to be the home cure of choice over thisaway, but I’ve also had suggestions for shots of vodka with hot sauce (lots), sauna with eucalyptus oil in the splash-on-rocks water, onion tea (hold the rum), garlic soup with chicken (no sausage, it upsets the chest so I’m told), and sleeping under a cat-skin blanket. Oh, and Becherovka. You can’t go wrong with Becherovka, not if you add a little of Granny’s…

…anyhow, sorry for the threadjack and hope you’re feeling better soon.

11. Sara Wilson
    Sara Wilson January 14, 2019 2:40 am

I totally sympathize with everything you are feeling. I had this over the holidays; my usual homeopathic remedies didn’t work, but inhaling a concoction of essential oils knocked out the cough. TIRED! I can’t begin to describe it! Hang in there! Some of the comments regarding rum, etc. seem worth considering.

12. Jorge
    Jorge January 14, 2019 5:54 am

Get well soon.

13. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook January 14, 2019 6:16 am

You never know, sometimes us doctors actually do something useful. It might be worth a try.

14. ellendra
    ellendra January 14, 2019 8:23 am

Fell better soon, Claire!!!

***hugs***

15. Mike
    Mike January 14, 2019 9:20 am

That’s the problem with getting along in years. Every year colds and flu hit harder and harder until one day…

Rest, plenty of fluids and forget about the blog. Just concentrate on getting better. We will still be here when you return.

16. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ January 14, 2019 11:07 am

I regret that you are ailing, Claire.

A friend, “The Fire Chief ” (of an actual Volunteer Fire Department in NJ) sends this advice from members of his own Fire House, who claim this cure has been tested, and works every time:

“Take 2 shots of ‘Yukon Jack’ and go STRAIGHT to bed. You will be over ‘it’ by morning”.

Claire January 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Thank you, everybody. And thanks to you guys who also emailed suggestions.

I never thought about Tiger Balm, but this is the first time since age 5 I’ve been craving Vicks Vap-O-Rub.

Funny about the suggestions for whiskey, hot toddies, and such. When my dad was coming down with something, he’d immediately chug down a couple hot toddies, then go to bed and “sweat it out.” In 40 years, he only missed a day and a half of work.

I’ve always been pretty sturdy myself (though not on dad’s level), but this is my third cold (or ?) in four years, and as you know if you’ve been reading the blog for a while, other aspects of my health have been going south, too. All just vague, petty stuff. But I guess it’s as Mike says.

Anyhow, I wanted to post an update today, but beyond this comment and the post I just made, I’m not sure when I’ll be back.