Just another little check-in, plus George Potter and a few random links

Over the weekend, I had a dream about George Potter.

For you who don’t know (and that includes most of the world), George Potter was the most sublime writer the modern freedomista world ever produced. Then, damn him, he up and dropped dead five years ago at the tragically young age of 41.

Fortunately, Bill St Clair archived most of George’s available writings for posterity. You can also find his works at The Mental Militia Forums, the place where most of us first encountered him, back when TMM forums were still The Claire Files Forums.

George was my brother from another mother. He could be “mercurial” (i.e. a foul-mouthed, temperamental assh*le) as Joel notes in that first link, but he was a great soul and a greater talent. And people who met him in person claim he was much nicer than his occasional online outbursts indicated.

I don’t recall much of the dream — just that George was co-starring in a movie (billed as George “Gloryroad” Potter, Gloryroad being his online nym) and that, except for the horrible Jamaican accent he affected (don’t ask; I have no idea), he was wonderful.

I realized how much I missed him and spent several hours of that night awake and mourning.

—–

Early last month, during a now-rare news cruise, the following two links turned up together in my Feedly. One was current events, the other timeless. But boy, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a well-matched pair of links:

Tucker Carlson was right not to apologize for some thing or another.

Followed by an apt quote from P.G. Wodehouse.

I don’t give a rip about Tucker Carlson, who seems to be just the latest “conservative” attracting nasty attention from the left. But Wodehouse nailed it: with a certain type of opponent, you should never apologize.

I’ve always been big on saying I’m sorry for my faults and mistakes (sorry to a fault, as a few old friends told me). But the Current Mob only takes apology as weakness, and will attack with teeth and claws if they perceive they’ve got you on the run.

Anyhow, I was saving those links to riff off of for a longer piece, but after almost a month, it’s time to send them out on their own.

—–

Links do keep coming my way, despite me mostly running from them. I’ve saved up for a couple of links posts, then discovered that within a day or two many of them felt like old news. They felt that way not only because the particular item had already gotten around the ‘Net, but because obsolescence moves so fast in the e-age.

Does anybody still care about Jussie Smollett any more (even with the new revelations that friend-of-Obama political shenanigans may have been responsible for his surprising release from criminal charges)?

Or how ’bout the Varsity Blues scandal? Yes, the schadenfreude of watching cheating 1%ers get their comeuppance is delicious. But what else is new?

OTOH, there’s been a fair bit of good — or at least intriguing — or at least weird — news and opinion out there lately. Without further comment:

• Tyler Bariss, the creepy little incel whose SWATting sent jumpy, trigger-happy cops to kill an innocent man got what was coming to him.
  • Matt Taibbi in Rolling Stone has written a damnfine piece about why Trump won and how the collapse of the ginned-up Russiagate scandal better be a wakeup call for left-believing pundits.
  • In Washington state, resistance is building against the horrible I-1639 anti-gun law foisted upon the people by urban hysterics and biased officials, as this magnificent op-ed explains. (H/T JW)
  • And although I don’t have a lot of hope for a positive outcome here, Chuck Baldwin at LRC.com wrote an eloquent open letter against the political popular but utterly abusive extreme risk protection orders, which have gone from state to federal.
  • In Georgia, only black journalists were allowed into a mayoral race event. But this is apparently “inclusive” and definitely not racist, so don’t get all in a tizzy about it.
  • In Chicago, a mob (so the article calls it), forced cops to release a drug suspect and seized the drugs the police had confiscated. (H/T DT)
  • Via MJ, here’s what happens to ammo in a fire.
  • And finally, on the lighter side, a wealthy Bay Area family fights to keep its colorful “Flintstone house” — complete with dinosaurs — and I say more power to ’em.

And that’s that.

Comrade X April 2, 2019 4:07 pm

When it comes to the mob methinks they are owed an apology right before they get clobbered just to be polite that is.

Good article by Taibbi, IMHO they will never get it.

2. Desert Pundit
    Desert Pundit April 2, 2019 4:36 pm

Demanding an apology is the Communist attempt to get others to play their criticism/self-criticism (crit/self-crit) game. The offending party must genuflect to the mob and beg forgiveness. It is a method of control: stay in line or have your good comrade status revoked. Watch how many democrats apologize for minor offenses and how other dems pile on them.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold April 2, 2019 6:50 pm

You have to give the press and pundits credit, though. They did accurately predict, just before the 2016 election, that the losers wouldn’t accept the results, and would continue to cause chaos. 😉

“Red flag” laws are mental health procedures, with no mental health component. Nobody with any mental health credentials (whatever they are worth) even looks at the paperwork, much less does a face-to face.
    If the target is truly mentally unstable, subjecting him to a SWAT raid, violating his home, slapping him with a warrant that tells him he’s too crazy to be trusted with a gun, taking all his firearms, and shaming him in front of his family and all his neighbors, pushes just about every emotional button available. Then the police unhook his handcuffs and just leave?
    When the Red Flag process works as it’s designed to, it could push even a mildly unstable person right off the cliff, and then leave him free to act.

The “What happens to ammo in a fire” was well-covered, in video, by SAAMI, in “Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter:”

4. Jim B.
    Jim B. April 3, 2019 10:26 am

Off topic a bit.

The following is a bit too little, meant for farm equipment, but it is a step in the right direction. Needs to broaden the law to cover more, like cars/trucks and consumer stuff. What’s really amazing about this is that it was brought up by E. Warren herself.

I just wished it didn’t need a law to change things, but it wasn’t going to get done culturally.

5. Tahn
    Tahn April 3, 2019 10:48 am

Claire,

Thank you for the remembrance of George and the links to much of his writing. I would love to see a “Complete Writings of George Potter” but many are lost in the ether, which George is probably smiling at.

A special thanks to Bill and Joel for keeping much of his literary work available.

Indeed, in person, he was a mild mannered Southern gentleman, who made friends quickly and kept them. He is indeed missed.

6. Noah Body
    Noah Body April 3, 2019 1:15 pm

Re the Flintstone house: in my opinion, of all the mala prohibita laws out there, those concerning zoning, code enforcement and “nuisance” are the most evil of all. Anyone enacting or enforcing such laws deserves the hottest place in Hell.

Pat April 4, 2019 5:31 am

This apology does come from Tucker Carlson.

“We won’t go. A country where you’re afraid to touch other people is a country we don’t want to live in.”

Amen.

Re: George Potter – I was just re-reading some of George’s essays over the past weekend, and was struck by how often he makes me think. Whether I agree with all he says or not, he has a reasonable viewpoint that doesn’t compel me to reject or fight his statements, but allows me room to accept them in the civilized tradition of debate.

OT: I have been alot offline lately. OTOH, I have found myself online more often than I had planned to be. It bothered me at first; I thought I was back-sliding from my intent. But I realize now that I am in this world (hellish as it is), and if the internet is the only place to keep track of it (I have no TV), then online I have to be (including back to the Cabal/forum). And my gardening will have to share some time with my head.

8. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair April 4, 2019 7:02 am

George, wherever you are, thank you for the fine stories, and God bless.