Tuesday links

• What the poor, poor media has do do when the murdering jerk is the “wrong” sort of person.
  • And here’s the non-funny but more in-depth view of the same phenomenon.
  • I haven’t heard from Stewart Rhodes yet about the Ferguson open-carry march controversy. But Mama Liberty found this even-handed Reason article on the issue with extensive quotes from him.
  • Oliver Sacks, the great neurologist and racconteur died on Sunday. He was a wise, humane, and funny man. He went through life with face-blindness, which must be a special curse for such a public person.
  • Kent says it well. You can’t ever “keep guns out of the wrong hands.” Which is why it’s so vitally important to keep them in the right hands.
  • Turns out that Alison Parker’s “gonna buy a gun while trying to keep others from getting them” father is a failed politician and shameless attention wh*re.

Joel September 1, 2015 8:22 am

Andrew Parker is setting himself up as busily as he can to be the next person I love to hate with my every waking breath, and I rather resent it. Was anyone trampled in his rush to the nearest camera? Had his daughter’s body even hit the ground before he sent out his first op-ed post? Sheesh.

2. jed
    jed September 1, 2015 11:31 am

Linky Day! Yay!

Legal battle over First Amendment plays out at Denver courthouse — an update on the FIJA activity.

I’m dubious that Parker will get much traction, except in the echo chamber, but neither will I be surprised at yet another pointless gun law going on the books. Can’t say I know much about the political climate in Virginia.

Claire September 1, 2015 12:58 pm

jed — Fascinating. I admit I wasn’t all that engaged by this story when it was just the FIJA activists being arrested. Seen that before. Know the injustice system has been trying to get FIJA on “jury tampering” charges forever. But it looks as if much deeper things are going on now. Some excellent pushback.

Thanks for the updates — keep ’em coming.

4. Shel
    Shel September 1, 2015 4:21 pm

A retired LEO friend, whom I’ve known for many years and who shares many of the same concerns as the rest of us, said he was approached by an active duty officer to join the Oathkeepers and distanced himself from the officer. He added that he has met two members of that organization and considers each of them a “nut case.”

5. david
    david September 2, 2015 5:41 am

Andy Parker seems to be a bit unhinged in his grief. I hope the Commonwealth of Virginia will report him as such to The NICS check folks so that he can be blocked from buying that gun. He is so over the edge about this that he might use the gun to kill someone himself.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau September 3, 2015 7:45 am

It’s funny; when you look at the incentives faced by the ruling class, you understand the very last thing they want is to keep guns out of the wrong hands – because having them in the wrong hands makes easier their real aim of keeping guns out of the right hands.

The rulers face different incentives than the rest of us. It’s in their interest to disarm us. No ruler wants to deal with armed peasants. Doesn’t matter what faux party he allegedly belongs to.

What is hard to understand is why anyone with any understanding of this world (that is, not a recent graduate of their indoctrination centers called “public schools”) would identify with the rulers, or believe them on any subject.