So. Would you want to live in this neighborhood?

Despite predictions that Seasteading is dead, the project got a grand writeup in the Daily Mail this week and is moving ahead with plans for 2020.

It seems Patri Friedman, Peter Thiel and company are sailing ever closer to conducting their experiment in liberating mankind from politicians. (Marvelous goal; to which I say with a touch of skepticism and an equal touch of joy in their monumental vision, “Good luck with that.”) Of course, it all begins with an agreement with government — in this case the government of French Polynesia.

Not a bad neighborhood, Tahiti. Gorgeous concept drawings, too. But would you want to live there?

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran December 20, 2017 5:12 am

I had a couple of friends who lived in Hawaii and they told me of a phenomena called Island Fever “of feeling claustrophobic from the close proximity of each shoreline, and feeling disconnected from the outside world.” I wouldn’t mind giving tropical island life a try though, to see first hand if I get Island Fever or not. 😉

MamaLiberty December 20, 2017 7:46 am

I can’t see this “Seastead” thing ever being viable for those of us who garden. Furthermore, my friends in Florida tell me they’ve given up gardening. Too many bugs, mold and mildew, heat and humidity. Can’t imagine living in such a place. But more power to those who want it, of course.

Might work for city folks, who don’t mind living so close to other people. What’s the population density on the seastead there?

3. Mike
    Mike December 20, 2017 7:59 am

While I do wish them the best of luck and I hope their endeavour works out, in the back of my mind I can’t help but think about Galt’s Gulch down in Chile and how it failed. A lot of good folks got taken in that enterprise and had I not done my homework I would have been one of them. So in answer to the question, no thank you, I like the neighbourhood I’m in right now.

Pat December 20, 2017 8:55 am

No, I don’t like a tropical lifestyle, I’m tuned in to the earth and mountains, and love the four seasons.
    Plus… it might not be so easy to leave if the political climate changed.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 20, 2017 10:05 am

I’ve heard that gardening is easy in Florida, Mama. As long as folks are growing plants that grow in Florida. The species they used to grow in New York don’t do so well.

Rochester, island fever is real, and so is its opposite. In Nebraska and the Texas Panhandle (flat, no trees) we met people who couldn’t stand it, with the horizon so far away and nothing much between.

I keep envisioning a seasteading habitat that small being run by a government resembling a homeowner’s association, where the pecksniffs are the ones that run for office. Then I see the sponsoring government, and the comparison to Hong Kong, where the Chinese promised (Cross my heart and hope to die) to leave the economy alone.

And there’s no room for even a 200 meter rifle range. 😉

Claire December 20, 2017 10:53 am

Thiel is also behind Palantir spy tech, another hardly libertarian venture.

That’s not only evil, but it tainted LOTR forever.

He’s also done some good things (e.g. his challenge to talented young people to forego college and start their lives as inventors and entrepreneurs; his attempt, even if failed, to create PayPal as a private payments system). But I agree I’d be super-cautious about anything with Thiel’s name on it.

7. Thomas L. Knapp
    Thomas L. Knapp December 20, 2017 11:04 am

Yeah, I mention Palantir in the linked blog post, as well as the fact that he was a delegate to, and featured speaker at, one of the major anti-liberty parties’ national conventions last year.

He’s done some good things, but lately he’s continuously doing some bad things as well, and he has made it clear that he’s willing to put lots of his considerable wealth into using the state to shut up anyone who says stuff he doesn’t like.

Comrade X December 20, 2017 3:10 pm

I tried living in Hawaii, came back to the left coast, I’s like me seasons and the open spaces.

9. fred
    fred December 20, 2017 8:09 pm

LOL,an HOA on super steroids.No thanks.