Midweek links

Doing nothing is hard.

Yesterday I did one little eyeball-taxing task. Had to be done. But it wrecked my whole day and set the progress on my healing back to zero. Hurt like the dickens, besides. So today I took Commentariat member ~Qjay’s advice and rested my eyes.

Doing nothing is hard. But productive. Late afternoon and I’m genuinely on the mend now (knock wood). I can manage a links post before I return to my non-working, non-reading, non-DVD watching, very still and silent day.

—–

1. jed
    jed October 3, 2018 6:11 pm

> Doing nothing is hard.

It just takes practice, is all. 🙂

2. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred October 3, 2018 7:36 pm

I’m big on gut bacteria. I’ve been working through a gut problem myself. I recommend Soil Based Organisms, Goats Milk Kefir, Goats Milk Yogart, and Kimchi plus unfiltered spring water. Also, food comes in a skin, a shell, or a leaf and not a can or a box or a package.

3. Antibubba
    Antibubba October 3, 2018 9:42 pm

I remember the initial Nutrasweet rollout promotion–every household in America was mailed a single red gumball. Being a teenager I quickly snagged it–and got hit with a massive migraine headache. It took a few times to make the connection.

The plus side is that it taught me to read food labels.

4. James
    James October 4, 2018 4:34 am

All right, young lady, do NOT make me feel guilty about reading this excellent blog. Please don’t make me feel like the Patreon thing is just the digital equivalent of handing cash to a meth addict. Rest your eyes! Hey, we’re all big boys and girls out here. If we have to get by for a whole week, or longer, without a new post, well … it’ll be tough, but we’ll bear up. We’ll soldier on. Heed the voice of age and experience! Listen to your old Uncle Jim, and rest those eyes until they’re ALL better!

5. Michael Stone
    Michael Stone October 4, 2018 7:02 am

The Rainbow Farm story is horrible.
    The fact that someone could pursue such people, to the death, because, “it’s the law!”, is why I hate the very concept of “law”.

Pah!

The Earth, Wind, & Fire comic was lovely, though, so I feel better now.

6. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 4, 2018 7:46 am

The Aviation Medical Examiner community knew that aspartame was a neurotoxin 30 years ago. (And, yes, a healthy gut is literally central to a healthy ‘everything’ in our bodies.) But that didn’t stop the mass marketing of one of the most dangerous poisons ever approved by the “regulators”.

Even though the ‘Nutrasweet’ et al perps keep changing the name to dupe the masses, it is possible to avoid that poison if one is informed, and diligent.

Today, the equivalent is 5G, at millimeter wavelengths… (10-100 GHz)
    …arguably the most toxic and INTENDED to be pervasive “Weapon of Mass Destruction” ever mass-deployed against an ignorant populace. It’s invisible, relatively slow-acting (unless the power is cranked up just a bit, as in Area Denial Weapons that cause intense immediate pain), and intended ultimately to be UTTERLY unavoidable.

Last week, the FCC “fast-tracked” the approval process for masses of new small cell 5G towers, to override most local objections, even though most of those have more to do with perceived ‘aesthetics’ than the real issues.

(Here, in the boondocks, I am advising neighbors on our sparsely-populated mesa, most of whom have 35 or more acre parcels, that the answer to the demand by cell purveyors about ‘special deals’ to install 5G on their land is not just, “NO, but HELL NO!” That will only work for a while, if the satellite constellations are deployed.)

I did a special segment, as an electronic engineer with 40-plus years of design, RF, and ham radio experience, on what is coming for yesterday’s news. (it’s the final 80% of the the half-hour show, and directed to the non-technical types for whom “GigaHertz” is a swear-word.)

Note: the news was a ‘special edition’ because of the final holiday for the Biblical Fall Feasts, which is how the show begins.

7. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 4, 2018 9:58 am

“It was argued that the loud noise of traditional clapping and whooping pose an issue to students with anxiety or sensory issues.

“It was argued?” Were there any actual complaints? Anyone actually faint, or whatever, in the midst of clapping and whooping?

I keep picturing a band blasting out post-industrial or looped-techno music at 400 db to an audience distressed by clapping.

Claire October 4, 2018 10:59 am

No worries, James — though I appreciate you looking out for me and everybody.

Being on the computer is actually just fine for short whiles. The real eyeball-hurting activity was a whole different thing — applying caulk, overhead, with the bright sky in the background. That was dumb. Except that it had to be done on a dry day with other dry days ahead because the caulk had to be applied very thickly, so I didn’t have much choice. Still. THAT was the “meth” experience.

But as long as I don’t do that again, I can blog happily away.

9. ellendra
    ellendra October 4, 2018 11:31 am

Artificial sweeteners make me so sick that I had my doctor add them to my file under “allergies”. I’m glad to see studies backing that up.

10. Bill T
    Bill T October 4, 2018 3:28 pm

I gave up fake sweeteners years ago. After a few months I felt much better and my frequency of head aches was drastically reduced.

11. ~Qjay
    ~Qjay October 5, 2018 12:58 am

I’m really glad you’re taking it easy!
    Interesting set of links on this one! I usually read them through, and there’s a lot of good stuff on here today!

I hope your injury is all healed up at this point, but make sure to keep those drops going an extra day or two, then put them in a baggie in your fridge. They are expensive! They stay usable for a longer time if you keep them cold, but don’t freeze them.

Much love!

12. Plug Nickel Outfit
    Plug Nickel Outfit October 5, 2018 2:35 am

Thank you, Claire – for the Rainbow Farm story. I had managed to forget about it though at the time I was aware of the events.

Probably TMI – but WTH… That’s one of the things I always enjoyed about Grateful Dead concerts. There were so many people smoking the herb that it was logistically nearly impossible to arrest them all. (though narcs would sometimes pick off hapless stragglers in the parking area) Interesting feeling – to look directly at 5-0 in the eye from 15′ away while taking a toot – or walking along the sidewalk in the red-light district of Vancouver at night and no one noticing or caring what one happened to be smoking.

So I’ve heard, anyway…

13. ProGunFred
    ProGunFred October 5, 2018 1:02 pm

Plug, I was in Montreal some time ago, certainly before the current trend of legalization, and Some Dude asked me for five dollars so he could buy some refer. It was refreshingly honest. I gave him the 5 bucks.