Sunday links

1. Frank
    Frank October 14, 2018 1:32 pm

On Twenty-Five Things We Did As Kids: I ‘scored’ a 23. Missed the two that involved snow because I did not see snow until about 10 or so and then for a very brief time.

I did a lot of stupid things when I was a kid and am still alive now. Swam in lakes and bayous with moccasins and small alligators and we used to play army with BB guns. Lots of stings but did not lose an eye or anything like that.

My younger brother and I set up an ‘obstacle course’ in the back yard, one that included moving the tether ball pole next to the house. We had to shimmy up the pole to climb on the roof, run to the other side of the house and jump down. No way I would jump off a house now!

Not to mention all the stupid stunts we did on our bikes, homemade skate boards, etc. etc. – and lucky me, never a broken bone all those years!

Kids these days are far too pampered and the ‘state’ is largely responsible because of all the scare story warnings it puts out and parents do what they are told.

2. MP
    MP October 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Since we are counting, I scored pretty much a perfect score and that list. And I’ll raise it a couple. I shot off dynamite with my step-father for the fourth of July. We had bottle rocket fights across main street in my home town, pretty much annually. We played “smear the queer” (the name alone would get you months of re-education these days, let alone playing a game where the whole point was to tackle someone and dog-pile on him). I didn’t swim with water moccasins, but a friend and I did inadvertently skinny dip in a small pond with some snapping turtles. He practically ran on the water to get out when he found one in there with us. And it didn’t happen in my childhood, but I did work at a private school with an alumnus who talked of the days when he was there: during hunting season, the boys would bring their loaded guns to class and leave them standing against the back of the classroom so that they could go directly out to the woods after class to hunt for a few hours before dinner.

3. James
    James October 14, 2018 5:13 pm

No surprise that Ms. Obama and Mr. Bush would be best buds. It’s not like they disagree about anything important, after all.

4. Dana
    Dana October 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Danger! Unguarded water area.

5. Shel
    Shel October 14, 2018 6:38 pm

The “Partners in Crime” article, besides being astonishingly titled, looks like yet another attempt to isolate Trump. Swamps are very hard things to drain.

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 14, 2018 9:49 pm

25 out of 25 from the 1950s, though most of the time I messed up in school didn’t involve writing lines. My teachers had a different kind of board, applied to my backside.

I earned my first spending money when I was 11, going out on ranches in the desert with my .22 and shooting ground hogs for the bounty, which takes care of several items. I was disappointed she didn’t mention hunting in her list.

In the third grade, on a U.S. military base in Germany, our Cub Scout uniforms included our Scout pocket knives, and yes, we wore them to school.

OTOH, I teach Texas Hunter Education, and most of my students are teens or tweens. There are also lots of 4-H kids in our rural area, and they’re learning.

The 52-year-old- who was previously convicted in 2001 for indecent assault and gross indecency with a child- has now been ordered to serve a life sentence for the jail sex attacks and two rapes carried out when he was still a man.
    Parole will not be considered for at least nine-and-a-half years.
    Um, what?

7. Mark Call
    Mark Call October 15, 2018 6:03 am

I’d be surprised if most over 50 or so who now understand independence and liberty don’t score pretty close to 100% on that list.

And she didn’t even ask about the things that would REALLY get kids arrested today, like making gunpowder, fireworks, and hydrogen balloons from things they aren’t even allowed to know about, much less have, like a real chemistry set.

8. khperkins
    khperkins October 15, 2018 6:21 am

The 25 things article missed one. Having guns in the vehicle at school during hunting season. I did almost everything on the list, although, I don’t remember ever seeing a snake in the water around here, unless you count eels.

9. Owl
    Owl October 15, 2018 9:23 am

Heh. 25 for 25.
    Brought rifles to school for the rifle club and team.
    Not only threw snowballs and “accidentally” hit someone we shouldn’t, we also threw snowballs at cars. Not iceballs that could break the glass, just nice snowballs that disintegrated with a pleasing ‘thud’ on the roof of a car.
    And like Mark wrote, we made gunpowder, our own fuses, carbon dioxide bombs, hydrogen balloons using vinegar and galvanized nails, . . .
    Got more stories, but I’m not sure if there’s a statute of limitations . . . šŸ˜‰

10. RickB
    RickB October 16, 2018 5:44 am

My boys were born in 1989 and 1992. They got almost perfect scores on the “25 things” test. Growing up in Florida, they rarely encountered snow.

While they were in grammar school they added:
    Making their own bows and arrows and shooting them unsupervised.
    Going out in the woods by themselves and building fires using a magnifying glass.
    Shooting off fireworks without supervision.
    Blowing s__t up.
    Buying their own rifles with their own money. Which they kept in their bedrooms.

When the younger was 12 and the older was 15 they rebuilt and reinstalled the clutch in my old Dodge Shadow. While their mom and I were at work. (Note: I had told them that I would teach them to drive once it was fixed. But I never expected them to repair it by themselves).

And neither one ever got hurt beyond cuts and scrapes.

11. Shel
    Shel October 16, 2018 9:31 am

Regarding guns and school, I remember that Justice Anton Scalia was on his high school rifle team. He used to take his rifle on the New York subway to get to matches. No one thought anything about it.

12. Desertrat 1
    Desertrat 1 October 20, 2018 3:49 pm

All but the snow.

Plus: Unfiltered Camel cigarettes made wonderful time-delay fuses for M-80 firecrackers in unused wall lockers in high school. Swam in dirt-tank livestock ponds. Camped overnight, solo, at age nine. Plowed behind a horse at age eight. Picked cotton in August sun at age 12. Operated a farm tractor at age eleven. Cowboyed cattle, age eight through fifteen.