Car vs excavator

As Joel might say, “I got nothin’ today.” Life is happily dull. The Internet is all-politics-all-the-time, but won’t cough up a single bit of actual news until tonight.

So while the universal writer’s block works its way out of both my system and the ‘Net’s, here’s a bit of good cheer from Russia:

Source

Pat November 6, 2018 12:17 pm

Never bring a knife to a gunfight.

2. Dana
    Dana November 6, 2018 1:35 pm

Clearly yet another thinly veiled attempt by Russia to interfere in the U.S. elections.

3. free.and.true
    free.and.true November 6, 2018 2:18 pm

“Never bring a knife to a gunfight.”

Well, go ahead and bring the knife — it’s good to have a backup plan. Just make sure to bring a gun, too! ;~)

4. Shel
    Shel November 6, 2018 2:41 pm

Long before cellphones, Edward Abbey once on Election Day went off with friends on a 10 day canoe trip on a river with limited access so he could delay thinking about the actual results for as long as possible. I may try to see how long I can go this time. For amusement, I annually see how long I can go without knowing the Super Bowl results. My best result was Monday afternoon; usually someone would bring up the subject before then. As I look at my dog, she seems mercifully unconcerned.

5. James
    James November 6, 2018 3:59 pm

What — does EVERY car in Russia have a dash cam? Seems like I’ve seen lots of similar videos from Russia. What’s up with that???

6. John
    John November 6, 2018 10:25 pm

Jim B.,
    Thanks for putting that story up!

7. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry November 6, 2018 11:54 pm

Dashcams are A Thing in Russia (and most of the former Warsaw Pact) because insurance fraud (of the “bump and dump variety) and police corruption/incompetence are also very much Things. WarPac drivers want proof that they weren’t drunk, never cut off that ancient lorry, and made no attempt to bribe Corporal Of Militsiya Friendlyevich. It makes for awfully entertaining youtubing, and occaisionally some really badass science- the Chelyabinsk Bolide was captured on over 1800 dashcams, from hundreds of angles, which allowed astronomers to accurately reconstruct the meteor’s trajectory, height at burst, and explosve power (550mt tnt equivalent), as well as preserving a complete record of the object’s passage through the upper atmosphere.

8. larryarnold
    larryarnold November 7, 2018 7:42 am

Dashcam

I think I finally have something to want for Christmas.