Amazing Adventures of Trixie the Tailless Wonder Dog

By special request — and because we could all use a little extra cheer at the dark days of this ChrismaKwanzaaHannukahYule season — I present the amazing doings of the newest member of our tribe, Trixie the Tailless Wonderdog.

She climbs trees!

She lies on beds of hot coals!

Don’t worry; we didn’t let her stay in the fireplace very long. But she’s entranced by fire and pouts if we put up the screen between her and the flames.

She lifts colossal weights!

She hunts big game at great peril!

Squirrels. She tracks squirrels to their lairs, risking either falling on her nose or getting it bit off.

She poses for … erm … interesting pictures.

And as a sidenote, she has only seven nipples instead of the usual eight. No idea where the other one went, but it seems to be congenitally missing, as the overall nipple arrangement is all wrong.

She climbs really, really, really high in trees!

That’s her, up there above the bird feeder.

And this next one I’m really proud of. Although I’ve had herding breeds for years and they’re among the smartest and most agile dogs on the planet, this girl takes both smarts and physical prowess to new levels. She just cried out to be trained in an activity that would use both brains and body.

So at the beginning of this month I took her to be evaluated for canine agility, even though she’s still shaky on some of her basic obedience and socialization at this point. It was clear immediately that she was born for this. The agility trainer proclaimed that Trixie knew more than some dogs that had been in her classes for ages. Then just for ducks she tried her out on the prelims of one of the most difficult elements of an agility course.

Yep, born to it.

Trixie has not yet had any training on the actual agility course equipment and has never encountered a jump. But look at this:

But lest you think she’s too good to be true …

Yeah, we raised the bar a tad too high on that one (higher IIRC than it would ever be raised for a medium-sized dog on an agility course) and … well, she decided to use her brain, not her body. No treat for you, Trixie.

—–

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Dear readers, Commentariat members, and friends. If 2022 can’t be better than the last couple, let us at least come through it as proud, strong, uncompromising freedomistas — and hopefully without too many scars. But if scars we must have, let us earn them well.

Comrade X December 23, 2021 11:06 am

Now we’re talkin!

And I’s bet Trixie does plenty of that too(as ya mentioned before), will she sing?

That tree climbing, I’ve never had a dog that would do that, WOW!

IMHO by going under that bar tells me she certainly no dummy, don’t ya know?

2. Simon Templar
    Simon Templar December 23, 2021 11:13 am

I’ve seen some dogs that would do a “bit” of tree climbing, but nothing like that! Nothing even close to that. I second Comrades X’s WOW!

More Trixie!

Claire December 23, 2021 11:33 am

Thank you for the wows. 🙂 Unless she falls too far out of a tree or gets her entire head bitten off by some critter she gets too curious about, you all WILL be hearing and seeing more of Trixie.

Does she sing? Welllllll … She howls, barks, whines low, barks, whines high, barks, whines quietly, barks, whines loudly, barks, squeaks squeakers until they give up the ghost, whimpers, begs, scratches at doors, yelps, whines piteously, barks, yowls, screeches, and uses all of the above techniques at once and in sequence when left in her crate when we leave the house. But sings? Um, not yet.

We do have high hopes she’ll eventually learn “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” though. Or at least “Jingle Bells.”

Comrade X December 23, 2021 12:11 pm

Da Bones even joined in on the jingle Bells when I played it but he wasn’t close to being on key!

5. Toirdhealbheach Beucail
    Toirdhealbheach Beucail December 23, 2021 12:31 pm

Oh, what a palate cleanser! And such a talented (and good) dog! Poppy The Brave sends heartfelt greetings (as do the rabbits, but they are always a bit miffed about greeting anything that looks like a predator)!

6. GR21
    GR21 December 23, 2021 2:06 pm

Trixie Rocks !!! She looks like a great little Patriot on four. We lost our little cattle-dog a couple years ago but her spirit lives on. We we will get another soon I’m sure, after a move to a “Free” state.

They are good little hunters, ground squirrels beware. Thanks for the uplift, Merry Christmas Fredomistas !!!!

7. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 23, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks, Claire.

It brings back memories of our first dog. Andy was a cairn terrier we got after I returned from Vietnam, while we were waiting for our first child. Andy refused to do tricks. He would sit, and look at us like, “I work for a living. I protect you. I’ll play with you, but putting on a show is not in my job description.”

Protect us he did. No snake or rat got close. He tolerated squirrels, as long as they stayed off the porch and away from our daughters.

He would bark to warn us someone was coming to the door, but then was friendly. With one exception. One day a man started up our sidewalk, and before any of us saw him, Andy became a different dog. Low, hair up, growling. The guy had a lame excuse about needing directions, and I sent him away and called the police. They told me he had gone to more than one door, and when they caught up with him he gave them the same vibes Andy picked up on.

Andy gets some of the credit for how well our two daughters turned out.

8. Granny
    Granny December 24, 2021 4:14 am

Awe! Trixie!! How wonderful. There’s nothing like a dog, I tell you. My German Shepherds give me great joy. My only problem as of late is that they’ve become a bit too protective of me. The littlest one who I call Baby quite often, now has 3 strikes (in my book) against her. 1 for tearing up another dog (who fully recovered) that was visiting and 2 for trying to bite the guy loading my car at the feed store. The other one has just 1 strike for guarding his food wherein he lost his everloving mind. We’re working on understanding that I can take care of myself (I, the Pack Leader) and don’t need them to defend me against people I don’t want to be defended against. They’re very smart. Baby can jump at least 4 feet in the air and I was thinking of setting up an agility course for her. She would love it. The bigger one, whom I often call FuzzyWuzzy, is afraid of just about everything and his bark is way bigger than his bite. When he stands on his hind legs, he is taller than me, and he’s fierce looking, but responds immediately to snuggles. I’m sure he’s the kind of dog who would prefer to sleep on my bed if he wasn’t afraid of jumping up on it. My dogs protect the property, run the perimeter, and scare off predators (2 and 4 legged), then sit politely for a treat of real bacon. They are spoiled and loved.

Have a wonderful time with your new Wonder Dog Claire!

9. Jeff2
    Jeff2 December 24, 2021 5:22 am

Awe!! What an awesome Dog! I love when serendipity brings spirits together to share such wonders!

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Jeff2

10. James
    James December 24, 2021 6:03 am

Great dog! I’ll have to say, I’ve never seen any dog climb a tree, to any height at all. That’s pretty amazing.

I don’t have a dog, as the wife is a cat person, and we have a couple of those. Both of them, like Trixie, greatly enjoy an operating fireplace. Our cats like to curl up as close as they can get and just absolutely bake themselves. Pick ’em up, and they’re hot to the touch. But it blisses them right out.

And the dark days, this time of year? I like to enjoy each time of year, as they come around. In summer, when the days are long, I’m apt to go short on sleep, as there’s a lot of things you can be doing with all that daytime, and that’s good. Perversely, though, I also kind of like it when it’s full dark outside by the time supper’s over. Enjoy the fireplace for a while, go to bed early, and sleep a little late in the morning. Gets me caught up from summer. It’s all good.

Merry Christmas, and happy New Year!

11. Bear
    Bear December 24, 2021 7:43 am

“Clever girl!”
    Wow Claire, she is something else. What a sweetie. You’ve got your hands full! Thank you for sharing the pictures (and video) and spreading the joy!

12. Cube64
    Cube64 December 24, 2021 8:30 am

Excellent pics! It looks like she was a great placement – she’s obviously happy and fitting in really well!

13. Lew
    Lew December 24, 2021 10:01 am

Wishing Trixie, her humans, and her human admirers a blessed and Merry Christmas.

14. WolfSong
    WolfSong December 24, 2021 10:37 am

Aww…she’s adorable! 😍

The picture of her on her back made me laugh out loud (for reals).
    I once posted on my blog a picture of one of the mare’s rear ends, with full horse parts on display and was soundly berated for “not respecting her dignity” and covering it up.
    Which of course made me laugh like crazy and post *more* pictures of horse parts…because I’m like a 12 year old like that…and because mares are shameless hussys typically, who will show their stuff to anyone (except the vet) and fart in the face of anyone, human or beast, that gets to close. Dignity is not something they care about. 😂😂😂

Anyways…
    I think it’s pretty darn cool that Trixie climbs trees!
    What a lucky pup to have landed with you.
    May you all have a wonderful holiday season, and best wishes from us at Midnight Calico Farm for 2022. <3

Claire December 24, 2021 3:58 pm

WolfSong — I was hoping somebody would appreciate the joke — and worried instead I was offending half the readers. Whew. Merry Christmas to you and all yours at Midnight Calico Farm.

Everybody — Thanks for the great comments and for appreciating and telling about your four-legged critters, past and present.

16. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 26, 2021 9:10 am

not respecting her dignity
    AFAIK us “higher species” are the only ones who are biologically embarrassed enough to have such “dignity.” Other critters see sex and reproduction as a natural function of life.

On two levels:
    * IMHO two of our great strengths is that we can still appreciate jokes, and that we aren’t easily offended;
    * I’ve noted that much of the outrage coming from the other side is on behalf of some “marginalized” group the offendee isn’t part of, and which really doesn’t need or want the offendee’s protection. Like those speaking up for the dignity of the mare who doesn’t care if it all hangs out.

17. John Wilder
    John Wilder December 26, 2021 9:58 pm

Bravo! Better than Marvel’s best superhero!

18. PrinterChick
    PrinterChick January 28, 2022 8:53 am

Hi Claire – Just wondering if everything is well with you and yours? Haven’t seen a new post in over a month, so am starting to worry a little. Hope everything is going great for you. 🙂